StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 60+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 sq ft facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
Why Victoria, BC? Victoria is one of the most stunning cities in Canada. We enjoy a mild climate year-round and the shortest, most beautiful, commute for a city of our size. If quality of life, less time in your car and more time exploring the outdoors is appealing to you, then consider Victoria, where you can: bike on over 400km’s of designated bike lanes/trails (including right by our office), explore 50+ regional and provincial parks, golf year-round, ski and surf, kayak and scuba dive – we enjoy it all!
We are seeking to fill a number of contractor positions, all of which provide challenging opportunities for qualified applicants with product development experience. The positions will enable you to grow your skills, knowledge and experience as you work on interesting and innovative client projects. You will report directly to the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
These positions will require you to communicate effectively with team members in other disciplines as well as with new and existing customers.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, your responsibilities will be to:
- Use analysis, modeling and prototyping to create great components, mechanisms and systems as part of the whole solution for the client.
- Efficiently analyze problems and synthesize your experience and breadth of knowledge of engineering fundamentals into a coherent solution that meets the client’s needs.
- Design and perform experiments to determine the solution space and to select the most appropriate path forward to a great medical device.
- Quickly understand novel technologies and engage with moving them forward towards a product.
- Cooperate with and understand the design challenges being addressed by other project team members.
- Design products with the intent of manufacture and assembly (DFMA) using your broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Create and maintain a documentation package suitable for manufacturing transfer and regulatory submission.
- Ensure that products are developed appropriately for the Medical Regulatory Environment.
- Create and execute product design verification and validation plans.
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD in Engineering, Applied Science or Science.
- 5-15 years of technical experience in Product Development, particularly within a consulting environment, would be an asset.
- A background in medicine, biophysics or other biological science would also be an asset.
- Experience with SolidWorks 3D modelling CAD software, as well as ASME Y14.100 drawing standards
- Strong mechanical aptitude enabling elegant, innovative solutions to mechanical problems.
- We will consider demonstrated experience and capability in lieu of qualifications.
If you have the skills and experience to be considered as a Senior Mechanical / Project Manager, the additional responsibilities would be as follows:
- Interface with Business Development to transfer new activities into the company.
- Prepare and maintain project plans, set/adhere to milestones, deliverables and budgets.
- Manage a limited number of concurrent projects primarily of a mechanical scope and consisting of 2 – 3 engineers.
- Ensure that team meetings, project reviews and action lists are kept current and communicated to all stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Transfer product to Production and provide on-going Engineering support.
- Resource planning in support of staffing decisions and client support.
- Manage client expectations and report on project progress regularly.
- Ensure that budgets are on track and customers are invoiced.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience. We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted, no phone calls please.
Please e-mail your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the position title is in the subject line. When sending your attachment, please ensure it is in Microsoft Word (.doc), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or text (.txt) format. You can also fax your resume to (250) 483-1975.