StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 60+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 sq ft facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
Why Victoria, BC? Victoria is one of the most stunning cities in Canada. We enjoy a mild climate year-round and the shortest, most beautiful, commute for a city of our size. If quality of life, less time in your car and more time exploring the outdoors is appealing to you, then consider Victoria, where you can: bike on over 400km’s of designated bike lanes/trails (including right by our office), explore 50+ regional and provincial parks, golf year-round, ski and surf, kayak and scuba dive – we enjoy it all!
We are seeking to fill a number of contractor positions, all of which provide challenging opportunities for qualified applicants with product development experience. The positions will enable you to grow your skills, knowledge and experience as you work on interesting and innovative client projects. The primary responsibility will be to design and develop electrical sub-systems for medical devices that meet various international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System.
These positions will require you to communicate effectively with team members in other disciplines as well as with new and existing customers.
As an Electrical Engineer, your responsibilities will be to:
- Understand client-specific technologies and product requirements
- Conceive, design, and integrate electrical sub-systems into medical devices
- Analyze and select components to meet product needs
- Create schematics, circuit boards, and develop low-level firmware
- Simulate and verify designs, document design decisions and results
- Work under the Starfish QMS and related design and development procedures and standards
- Develop and document products appropriately for manufacturing transfer and submission for regulatory approvals
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions or design defects
- Provide technical assistance when needed
- Report on project progress as requested
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills
- Contribute to Starfish’s continuous improvement processes
- Any other related duties, as required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering
- 3-10 years of technical experience in product development
- Design for Manufacturability/Test; strong mechanical aptitude
- Theory and practice of Design for Electromagnetic Compliance
- Familiarity with common bio-medical technologies (ultrasonics, optics, lasers, electromagnetics, fluidics, control systems)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Will consider demonstrated experience and capability in lieu of academic qualifications
If you have the skills and experience to be considered as a Senior Electrical Engineer / Project Manager, the additional responsibilities would be as follows:
- Interface with Business Development to transfer new activities into the company.
- Prepare and maintain project plans, set/adhere to milestones, deliverables and budgets.
- Manage a limited number of concurrent projects primarily of an electrical scope and consisting of 2 – 3 engineers.
- Ensure that team meetings, project reviews and action lists are kept current and communicated to all stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Transfer product to Production and provide on-going Engineering support.
- Resource planning in support of staffing decisions and client support.
- Manage client expectations and report on project progress regularly.
- Ensure that budgets are on track and customers are invoiced.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience. We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted, no phone calls please.
Please e-mail your application to email@example.com. Please ensure the position title is in the subject line. When sending your attachment, please ensure it is in Microsoft Word (.doc), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or text (.txt) format. You can also fax your resume to (250) 483-1975.