StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 60+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 sq ft facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
Why Victoria, BC? Victoria is one of the most stunning cities in Canada. We enjoy a mild climate year-round and the shortest, most beautiful, commute for a city of our size. If quality of life, less time in your car and more time exploring the outdoors is appealing to you, then consider Victoria, where you can: bike on over 400km’s of designated bike lanes/trails (including right by our office), explore 50+ regional and provincial parks, golf year-round, ski and surf, kayak and scuba dive – we enjoy it all!
Starfish Medical is seeking to add a Senior Electronics Design Engineer to its high-performance Product Development team. The primary responsibility of this position will be to design and develop advanced electronic circuits and sub-systems for medical devices that meet various international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System. Applicants with strong teamwork and technical leadership skills are encouraged to apply. This position will require you to communicate effectively with team members in other disciplines as well as with regulatory agencies and with new and existing clients.
As a Senior Electronics Design Engineer, your responsibilities will be to:
- Understand client-specific technologies and product requirements
- Conceive, design, and integrate electrical sub-systems into medical devices
- Analyze and select components to meet product needs
- Create schematics, circuit boards, and develop low-level firmware
- Simulate and verify designs, document design decisions and results
- Work under the Starfish QMS and related design and development procedures and standards
- Develop and document products appropriately for manufacturing transfer and submission for regulatory approvals
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and identify failure modes and/or design defects
- Provide technical guidance to team members and clients when needed
- Report on project progress as requested
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills
- Contribute to Starfish’s continuous improvement processes
- Other related duties, as required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics
- Minimum ten years of Electronics design and development experience
- Solid technical and conceptual understanding of common bio-medical technologies (ultrasonics, optics, lasers, electromagnetics, fluidics, etc.)
- Broad knowledge and experience with micro-sensors and low-noise operating environments, embedded processor development, signal processing, FPGAs, closed-loop control systems, etc.
- Expertise with schematic and layout tools, Altium Designer preferred
- Deep understanding of and hands-on approach to design for EMC
- Familiarity with principles of DFM/DFT
- Strong aptitude for Mechanical and Industrial Design
- Solid verbal, written, and presentation skills in English
- Ability to work independently and inspire others to achieve technical success on budget, on time
Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience. We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted, no phone calls please.
Please e-mail your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the position title is in the subject line. When sending your attachment, please ensure it is in Microsoft Word (.doc), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or text (.txt) format. You can also fax your resume to (250) 483-1975.