StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 80+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers. Our head office is located in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia and we are excited to be planning an expansion to Toronto, Ontario based on our business success and growth. StarFish is looking for a Junior Project Manager to join our team based in Victoria.
At Starfish, we value our employees as our most important asset. Our employees work in an energizing, purpose-designed facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers, to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and leading edge lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
The Junior Project Manager will thrive as a member of our inspiring teams working to meet their common goal. Reporting to the Manager, Project Management, you will support Project Managers as a member of a cross-functional team to successfully deliver technical projects on time and on budget. You will support clients throughout the development process to ensure that expectations are met while using your knowledge of sound engineering practices and regulatory requirements to navigate projects in the ISO13485 environment.
In this position, you may find yourself leading smaller projects on your own, or supporting a Senior Project Manager on larger projects and working in a small team of like-minded professionals. Ideally, we are looking for people who have been a technical project manager, project engineer or systems engineer for at least two years focused on product development or new product introduction.
If you thrive in an environment where no two days are the same; where ambiguity and uncertainty are expected, and where you regularly change your focus from the client to the technology and to your team, then we encourage you to apply.
- Work with Senior Project Managers on project planning, proposal writing, project tracking, client invoicing, as well as the creation and maintenance of project documentation.
- Contribute to the development of new products and novel technologies from initial concept through detailed design.
- Initiate and lead effective brainstorming sessions that will spawn creative, open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking.
- Initiate and lead design reviews as required.
- Interface with Business Development to develop project proposals and support the transfer of new activities into Engineering.
- Oversee the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Support vendor quotations, POs and lead times to monitor BOM targets and ensure cost-effective manufacturing processes are chosen during design.
- Work closely with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled.
- Ensure that all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including the development and maintenance of documentation
- Continue to support products through the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production. This includes creating and managing Engineering Change Requests (ECRs), Engineering Change Orders (ECOs), and liaising with clients to resolve product issues.
- Any other duties, as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Engineering degree, physical science degree or equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g. engineering technologist with minimum two (2) years’ recent, related experience).
- Previous experience as a project manager, project engineer or systems engineer in a consulting environment is desired and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not (e.g. aerospace or automotive), would be advantageous.
- At least three (3) years’ experience managing similar projects is required to be successful in this role.
- Experience with CAD required, and with Rapid Prototyping, Software Development, PCB Layout, FEA Analysis, or Manufacturing processes desired.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong competence in MS Office Suite (especially MS Project, Excel and Word).
- Strong client liaison, both oral and written communications, and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of product development and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to thrive in environment of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Must be flexible in order to work with variability in technology, clients and teams.
- Strong systems engineering understanding ideally with regulatory controls.
- Exceptional judgment and composure in high-pressure situations.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including maintaining accurate records and diligently tracking key project metrics.
- Sharp detective and sleuthing skills.
- Ability to remain flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audiences.
- Ability to rapidly understand new technologies and incorporate on-the-fly change of plans.
How to Apply:
If the idea of developing leading edge products in the medical device field intrigues you, we know you will find the Starfish compensation package competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply in confidence please send a covering letter and resume that clearly demonstrates the qualifications required of this position, along with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 10, 2017.
We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical; however only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.