The Bio Services Program Design Lead reports directly to the Bio Services Manager. The Bio Services Program Design Lead will support the newly rebranded Bio Services Group. The core areas in the rebranded group will focus around invitro-diagnostics, point-of- care, assay integrations, microfluidic prototyping, and instrument development. This position defines and maintains the vision for the Business Development Program Design function at StarFish specifically in developing opportunities in this new space. Key practice areas in the Bio Services group include: microfluidics, microbiology and regenerative medicine.
This position will offer you:
- The satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
You will be a leader by example and will be building/growing capabilities of the department and developing/mentoring team members. You will work to understand big picture requirements, high level technical aspects, and have overall responsibility for shaping and defining Bio Services and Microfluidic based projects collaboratively with clients and internal stakeholders to solve the right problems at the right time, particularly to develop the right program approaches for new clients.
Working with Marketing and Business Development, the individual will support client lead generation and will be focused on helping clients commercialize their assays in a wide range of formats including ingestibles, near patient formats and microfluidics.
The Bio Services Program Design Lead requires extensive knowledge of biochemistry, physiology, basic microbiology/cell culture laboratory skills, along with a good understanding of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly.
- Be the quarterback for development of a vision for each new prospective client
- You will have a core role in Business Development with prospecting potential clients requiring microfluidics prototyping services;
- Develop and report on meaningful metrics for the microfluidics unit, showing growth and improvement;
- Grow a network of microfluidics contacts and participate in lead generation and identification to support growth and expansion of the newly branded Bio Services Team;
- Gain an understanding of the prospect’s business, design, engineering and technological concerns, as well as their in-house and external development infrastructure.
- Evaluate technologies in collaboration with an internal technical team, to translate customer needs into key next steps for product development, in context with project plans and technical proposals.
- Extract, evaluate, and shape the critical needs within a product plan, and then communicate effectively how immediate technical activities will provide value in the product development for our clients.
- Oversee the development of compelling proposals, occasionally doing the writing itself. Take ownership of assigned proposals and work closely with proposal managers to ensure that proposals are compelling, and that tasks are completed on time and on budget
- Present proposals to clients in cooperation with product development and business development personnel.
- When required, participate and assist with sales activities at trade shows and other events as a representative of Starfish Medical.
- Establish good working relationships with Starfish Medical team members (Project Managers, etc.) in order to build mutual relationships of accountability and trust, as well as to monitor and drive timely proposal and contract preparation.
- Assist in project initiation, ensuring a smooth start and clear communications throughout the customer’s experience.
- Budget, project and plan for future resource requirements and maintain a bench of qualified contractors
- Spearhead innovation and best practices for the team and products
- Maintain visibility on projects as they develop over time
- Define, develop and report on meaningful metrics for the function, showing growth and improvement
- Own sections of Quality Management System related to the function: create, edit, train and guide compliance for documents
- Adhere to and enhance the QMS, includes developing and maintaining documentation, as required
- Identify potential process improvements and drive changes to successful adoption
- Inspire greatness in the work of the team and the company as a whole
- Act as a role model who embodies StarFish values
- Other related duties, as required
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD in Engineering, Applied Science or Science
- 5-10 years technical experience in Microfluidics or Assay development
- Demonstrated experience managing, developing, motivating and mentoring product development teams
- Prior experience managing highly integrated, product development projects with a proven track record of delivering high quality releases
- Demonstrated experience with and a deep understanding of the full development life cycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.)
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment and experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset
How to Apply:
After reviewing the Job Description at www.TallSky.ca to learn about the finer details of the Bio Services Program Design Lead role, qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all applicants who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.