We are seeking a talented Intermediate Firmware Engineer who will enjoy designing, implementing, maintaining and documenting products developed at Starfish Medical that meet international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System. This includes a rare opportunity to work in partnership with the Project Manager, client and multi-disciplinary teams on medical device design from the proof of concept stage through to manufacturing and release.
Who are you?
You bring a unique engineering ability as a firmware developer and have the capability to understand the requirements of the hardware integration. Your experience provides you with a comfort level handling a variety of microcontrollers, oscilloscopes, function generators and multimeters, to name a few. You understand coding details and you know how to incorporate them into the bigger picture – you are a ‘project integrator’. You’re known as a C expert, and it would be great (but not essential) if you have used assembler and/or C++. You have the ability to translate the technical jargon to both peers and to cross-functional teams. In effect, you can zero in on code detail, but you can rise above to the 10,000 foot level and see the bigger picture too. If this describes you, we welcome your application!
About Star Fish Medical
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You could be working in beautiful Victoria, BC, where visitors are immediately met with a smile and open concept offices. The working environment is filled with both a sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and also genuine employee engagement and transparency that is truly meaningful.
StarFish offers a collegial and creative working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
As a Firmware Engineer, you will:
- Develop firmware for complex medical devices and systems through brainstorming, architecting, and engineering solutions that balance cost, performance, complexity to deliver excellence to our clients.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, departments, and external development partners including mentoring and sharing knowledge with others.
- Assist business development and project managers by developing firmware tasks and estimates for customer proposals.
- Provide content for design documentation including contributing to formal design and source code reviews.
Our Ideal Candidate must bring:
- Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, electronics, Physics, or equivalent.
- Minimum five years’ experience developing firmware for commercial products.
- Expert in C and experienced in programming hardware interfaces.
- Experience in product development, specifically developing firmware for electronic devices, throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, and verbal in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to collaborate as an effective team player.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304)
- Experience developing firmware for a variety of microcontrollers.
- Experience in assembly or C++ coding.
- DSP and FPGA development experience
- Experience with automation and control of common biomedical technologies (ECG, ultrasonics, lasers, robotics, microscopy).
- Experience writing commercial software for ARM Cortex-A, M, or R platforms.
- Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package are included.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a covering letter, resume and salary expectations that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position by Friday, August 20, 2018.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.