We are seeking a talented Mechanical Engineering Manager for our growing company. Reporting to the Director of Product Development, this position defines and maintains the vision for the Mechanical Engineering function at StarFish and is responsible for growing the function towards that vision through leading by example, building capabilities and developing/mentoring team members. This position will focus primarily on managing the team and products, but will also spend time in business development – being creative, working with clients and shaping projects.
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You could be working in beautiful Victoria, BC, where visitors are immediately met with a smile and open concept offices. The working environment is filled with both a sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and also genuine employee engagement and transparency that is truly meaningful.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
This position reports directly to the Director of Product Development. This position defines and maintains the vision for the Mechanical Engineering function at StarFish and is responsible for growing the function towards that vision by leading by example, building capabilities and developing/mentoring team members. This position has overall responsibility for ensuring all deliverables relating to Mechanical Development are met.
As the Mechanical Engineering Manager you will:
- Hire, lead, develop, motivate and mentor an exceptionally talented and engaged group of Mechanical engineers
- Manage and supervise development team members by directing and coordinating activities
- Take ownership of assigned development tasks and work closely with project managers to ensure that appropriate resources are allocated to projects and that development tasks are completed on time and on budget
- Budget, project and plan for future resource requirements and maintain a bench of qualified contractors
- Lead effective design reviews
- Identify risks and create risk mitigation plans
- Analyze complex problems to determine root causes
- Develop new products and features using various tools and platforms
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional teams comprised of individuals from various disciplines
- Define, develop and report on meaningful metrics for the function, showing growth and improvement
- Tool strategy: identify, recommend and budget
- Own sections of Quality Management System related to the function: create, edit, train and guide compliance for documents
- Spearhead innovation and best practices for the team and products
- Identify potential process improvements and drive changes to successful adoption
- Inspire greatness in the work of the functional team and the company as a whole
- Act as a role model who embodies StarFish values
- Other related duties, as required
Our Ideal Candidate brings:
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience managing, developing, motivating and mentoring mechanical engineering teams
- Prior experience managing highly integrated, product development projects with a proven track record of delivering high quality releases
- Demonstrated experience with and a deep understanding of the full development life cycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.)
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment and experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a covering letter, resume and salary expectations that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position by Friday, August 3, 2018.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.