We are searching for a talented Optical Engineer who will lead technical teams and coordinate engineering activities for the design, development, and implementation of new optical components and systems. The Optical Engineer will thrive as a member of our inspiring teams working to meet their common goal. Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager, the Optical Engineer will focus on applied research, design, and development of optical bio-medical systems and sub-systems. Responsibilities include all aspects of optical engineering including component and system design, material selections, assembly process development (especially alignment and test issues), qualification, and process documentation. This position will enjoy the opportunity to drive their personal client list and business division within the company; work on a diversity of projects; establish a network of suppliers and vendors; and further establish optical department/facilities/team. ABOUT STARFISH MEDICAL StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 80+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers. At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 20,000 sq ft facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment. StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
- Provides optical consulting services for the engineering services group and clients directly.
- Researches and analyzes customer requirements and customer supplied data to generate proposals that outline technical plans to accomplish customer objectives.
- Develops, models, and analyzes optical systems in various Optical Software Platforms providing custom analysis and design of optical systems for customers.
- Manages the execution of engineering services projects.
- Provides project update and status at engineering service project status meetings.
- May participate or lead the assembly and testing of hardware projects to ensure deliverables conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Develops technical documentation and reports for consulting projects.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining project budget in order to execute engineering service projects within budget and on schedule.
- Will follow quality procedures and ensure all required documentation is completed before, during and upon completion of engineering service projects.
- May travel to attend trade shows and interface with customers and vendors on occasion.
- Designs and fabricates primarily optical components and devices.
- Designs, analyses and optimizes lensing systems.
- Designs complex optical systems including lenses, coatings, filters, mirrors and opto-mechanical components.
- Constructs the design of complex laboratory experiments.
- Performs experimental testing, device characterization, and data analysis.
- Designs optical systems for miniaturized medical devices.
- Tests and validates aforementioned devices and components.
- Designs and analyses of absorption, emission and diffraction spectroscopic methods for a variety of applications such as fluorescence, particle detection, Surface Plasmon Resonance, and novel applications.
- Contributes to the creation of innovative solutions.
- Provides generalist project support (contributing to product development projects as/when required to supplement time).
- Interfaces and works effectively with multiple interdisciplinary departments.
- Works closely with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled.
- Ensures that all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed.
- Adheres to and enhances the Quality Management System (QMS), including the development and maintenance of documentation.
- Any other duties, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Engineering, Physics, or Mechanical Engineering – all requiring specialization in Optics.
- Minimum 5 (five) years’ recent, related experience.
- Consultancy experience required (client focused delivering services/products).
- Experience with small-scale optics (e.g. laboratory equipment, imaging systems).
- Experience with optical element selection and process control moving towards manufacturing.
- Technical expertise in optical modeling software such as Zemax, ANSYS or similar. Ideally medical device industry experience.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Strong proficiency with optical modeling and simulation programs and raytracing such as Zemax required.
- Strong background optical system design.
- Experience with plastics (design, fabrication, 3D printing, injection molding) highly desired.
- Experience with spectroscopic techniques is highly desired.
- Ability to mentor engineers.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial spirit (further establishing optics in StarFish).
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong competence in MS Office Suite (including MS Project, Excel and Word).
- Strong client liaison, both oral and written communications, and customer service skills.
- Ability to thrive in environment of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Must be flexible in order to work with variability in technology, clients and teams.
- Exceptional judgment and composure in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audiences.
- Ability to rapidly understand new technologies and incorporate on-the-fly change of plans.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a covering letter, resume and salary expectations that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position by June 4, 2017. We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.