Do you enjoy working in an open-concept environment where ideas among like-minded professionals are routinely exchanged with enthusiasm and support? Do you want to work within this atmosphere, collaborating as an integral part of the Supply Chain team, as well working directly with new and existing suppliers; while also focusing on supporting ground-breaking advancements in medical engineering? Are you excited by the idea of being hands on in the procurement process? If so, we may have found the perfect job for you!
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Purchasing Manager to work with project teams on leading-edge products that add to Starfish Medical’s world-renowned medical device portfolio. This rare opportunity will provide the right candidate with challenges enabling you to grow your skills, knowledge and experience as you work on interesting and innovative client projects. If you are excited about being a coach or mentor to others on the team and throughout the company, this might be the role for you. A typical year at StarFish Medical means hands-on involvement with multiple projects for medical devices that meet various international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System.
About StarFish Medical
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 70+ technical product development professionals who focus on innovative & creative device design solutions for North American and international customers. Our projects range from tactical emergency medical service products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, imaging technologies and lab equipment. At any given time, our engineers work on a wide variety of concurrent projects.
Our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, will provide you an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 (soon to be 20,000+) sq. ft. facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers. You will be part of a team that helps direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. In a recent survey, our employees rated peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
As a Purchasing Manager reporting into the Supply Chain Manager, you will be responsible for sourcing equipment, goods and services and managing vendors. The Purchasing Manager will take a leadership role in executing effective and efficient procurement in an ISO 13485 environment, while overseeing a diverse group of individuals within the Supply Chain group.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Purchasing Manager will perform, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Develop, lead and execute purchasing strategies
- Costed BOM development and analysis
- Manage Supplier Qualification / Management Process
- Seek and partner with reliable vendors and suppliers
- Manage Purchase Requisition Process
- Monitor and forecast upcoming levels of demand
- Represent the Supply Chain at Product Development meetings (project kickoff meetings, design reviews, etc.), maintain clear lines of communication with project teams and clients around purchasing issues and concerns as a key contributing member of the New Product Introduction process (NPI).
- Own continuous improvement of the Supplier Management / Purchasing Controls manuals and instructions
- Works closely with quality, manufacturing and engineering.
- Ability to lead the procurement processes in a technical / engineering / prototype development environment
- Focuses on impact and result for the client (internal and external) and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to persuade and influence others
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules
- Microsoft Suite – intermediate level
- SYSPRO experience
- MechWorks – previous or equivalent (Document Control System) experience
- SharePoint – previous or equivalent experience
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Proven working experience as purchasing manager, agent or officer
- Familiarity with sourcing and vendor management, preference to those with experience in a regulated environment (ISO 13485 or other)
- Degree in supply chain management, logistics or business administration an asset, equivalent working experience will be considered
- Proficient in the use of computer applications and systems
- Experience with ERP/ MRP
- Fluency in both verbal and written English is essential.
- Degree in supply chain management, logistics or business administration an asset
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a covering letter and resume that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet the Competencies and Qualifications of this position, as well as your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.