StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 80+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers. Our head office is located in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia and we are excited to be planning an expansion to Toronto, Ontario based on our business success and growth. StarFish is looking for a Senior Accountant to join our team based in Victoria.
At Starfish, we value our employees as our most important asset. Our employees work in an energizing, purpose-designed facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers, to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and leading edge lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, your primary responsibilities will be in facilitating accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis, payroll preparation, and support for the taxation and regulatory compliance requirements. This role requires experience in accounting and a clear understanding of the technical principles of the month-end closing process and reconciliations. This position will also provide secondary support for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
- Support Director of Finance in providing accurate and timely financial reporting, financial statements, period end reports, and all other financial data, including:
- Month-end accounting, working paper preparation and GL reconciliations
- Year-end accounting, working paper preparation and GL reconciliations
- Monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Ensure accurate and timely payroll preparation and administration
- Ensure accurate and timely regulatory filings for GST, PST, WCB returns and income tax instalments and others as required
- Support SRED filing process
- Generate Financial Reports for Accounting and other departments on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Prepare Analysis Reports for Accounting and other departments on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Create, update and communicate accounting policies, processes and procedures
- Provide backup for Accounts Receivable
- Provide backup for Accounts Payable
- Effective communication and follow up on financial matters with customers, suppliers, employees and other departments
- Ensure internal control processes are followed accordingly and meet all financial requirements
- Work with the Director of Finance and other staff to ensure the integrity of all financial information, reports, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, sales orders and others
- Assisting the Director of Finance with various duties, as assigned
- Other administrative tasks as needed
You are the ideal candidate, if you meet these requirements:
- Diploma in accounting or two + years in the CPA program
- Three to five years’ experience in a business accounting environment performing month-end processes, payroll preparation, regulatory filings, managing cash flows (multiple currency) and financial reporting
- Knowledge and experience with accounting software. SYSPRO or other ERP software ideal.
- Advanced Excel skills, with proficiency in Outlook and Word an asset
- Able to meet firm deadlines while maintaining and ensuring a high standard of accuracy
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, ideally with knowledge and experience in project accounting or job costing an asset
- Demonstrate good judgement and the ability to manage highly confidential material is critical
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with your colleagues throughout the organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Be a lifelong learner, open to new processes, software and general accounting practices
- Possess a great, keen, figure-it-out attitude to making things better and to personally develop in a growing, dynamic company
How to Apply
If the idea of developing leading edge products in the medical device field intrigues you, we know you will find the Starfish compensation package competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply in confidence please send a covering letter and resume that clearly demonstrates the qualifications required of this position, along with your salary expectations to email@example.com by Monday, April 3, 2017.
We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical; however only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.