Do you enjoy working in an open-concept environment where ideas among like-minded professionals are routinely exchanged with enthusiasm and support? Do you enjoy this atmosphere of communicating with team members in other disciplines as well as with new and existing customers; while also focusing on ground-breaking advancements in electrical engineering? Are you excited by the ides of prototyping and being hands on in the design process? If so, we may have found the perfect job for you!
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Electronics Engineer to develop truly leading-edge products that add to Starfish Medical’s world-renowned medical device portfolio. This rare opportunity will provide the right candidate with challenges enabling you to grow your skills, knowledge and experience as you work on interesting and innovative client projects. Your primary responsibility will be to design and develop electrical sub-systems for medical devices that meet various international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System.
About StarFish Medical
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 70+ technical product development professionals who focus on innovative & creative device design solutions for North American and international customers. Our projects range from tactical emergency medical service products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, imaging technologies and lab equipment. Our Electronics Engineering team specializes in wireless sensors and low-power biometrics. At any given time, our engineers work on a wide variety of concurrent projects.
Our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, will provide you an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 sq ft facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers. You will be part of a team that helps direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. In a recent survey, our employees rated peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
As an Electronics Engineer, your responsibilities will be to:
- Understand client-specific technologies and product requirements
- Conceive, design, and integrate electrical sub-systems into medical devices
- Analyze and select components to meet product needs
- Create schematics, circuit boards, and develop low-level firmware
- Simulate and verify designs, document design decisions and results
- Work under the Starfish Quality Management System and related design and development procedures and standards
- Develop and document products appropriately for manufacturing transfer and submission for regulatory approvals
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions or design defects
- Provide technical assistance when needed
- Report on project progress as requested
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills
- Contribute to Starfish’s continuous improvement processes
- Any other related duties, as required
- Bachelors or Master Degree in Electronics Engineering
- 3 – 10 years of diverse technical experience in product development
- Design for Manufacturability/Test; strong mechanical aptitude desired
- Theory and practice of Design for Electromagnetic Compliance
- Board layout experience required (Altium software knowledge desired)
- Hands on experience soldering and reworking SMT (Surface mount technology)
- Familiarity with common bio-medical technologies (ultrasonics, optics, lasers, electromagnetics, fluidics, control systems)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Will consider demonstrated experience and capability in lieu of academic qualifications
If you have the skills and experience to be considered as a Senior Electronics Engineer / Project Manager, the additional responsibilities would be as follows:
- Interface with Business Development to transfer new activities into the company.
- Prepare and maintain project plans, set/adhere to milestones, deliverables and budgets.
- Manage a limited number of concurrent projects primarily of an electrical scope and consisting of 2 – 3 engineers.
- Ensure that team meetings, project reviews and action lists are kept current and communicated to all stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Transfer product to Production and provide on-going Engineering support.
- Resource planning in support of staffing decisions and client support.
- Manage client expectations and report on project progress regularly.
- Ensure that budgets are on track and customers are invoiced.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Any other related duties, as required.
If the idea of turning client ideas into working products in the medical device field intrigues you, we know you will find the Starfish compensation package competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter and resume that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and demonstrates your education and experience required of this position, as well as your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.