We have a unique opportunity for a Senior Human Factors Design Engineer based in Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON, to manage user-centered research activities and client interactions related to the innovative design and development of novel medical devices. As part of the StarFish Industrial Design & Human Factors (ID/HF) group, the Senior Human Factors Design Engineer brings a strong understanding of the product development process from concept ideation through to manufacture, and a deep understanding of the Human Factors discipline for device design.
Bringing your experience with graphical and physical user interfaces, you will help support the product development teams throughout the medical device design and development lifecycle. You will influence this process by conducting user research, providing input related to human capabilities and product interactions for design. Your participation in brainstorming events, presenting usability solutions, evaluating potential use errors for risk, performing usability assessments to inform design, and contributing to the verification and the validation of medical devices, will be invaluable in contributing within this dynamic and creative team environment.
StarFish Medical offers:
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
Brief overview of the Senior Human Factors Design Engineer role:
- Plan, scale, document, and conduct human factors activities for innovative medical device development.
- Provide leadership and mentorship with the Human Factor team efforts on projects and be client facing from the outset of a project all the way to transfers.
- Support early stage development with research, use studies and usability evaluations to identify user needs, support design optimization and identify potential use errors.
- Collaborate in ideation and conceptual design activities and presentations.
- Define and document workflows and user-related tasks and scenarios related to product use.
- Develop requirements related to use, user interactions, and human performance.
- Evaluate and assess risks related to product use.
- Design usability evaluations to ensure user interface requirements are met, and risk controls pertaining to use have been applied and are effective.
- Analyze data, report results, and make recommendations for improvements based on Human Factors guidelines and best practices.
- Support process improvement and Human Factors related initiatives within the business.
Our ideal Senior Human Factors Design Engineer:
- Bachelor degree in Human Factors, Industrial Design, UX Research or Design, Biomedical Engineering, or other related discipline.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience with a strong understanding of the product development process.
- Experience in planning, conducting, and reporting on Human Factors Usability Validations, preferably in medical device development.
- Familiarity with existing IEC Usability standards, AAMI Human Factors standards and FDA Human Factors Guidance, including experience interacting with FDA and other regulatory bodies.
- Experience with Human Factors or User-centered design methodologies including generative research, user needs assessment, design concepts, and usability evaluations in support of product development, ideally including user-facing activities and interactions with clinicians.
- Experience with risk management activities applied by Human Factors to medical devices (e.g. UEA, AFMEA, UFMEA, URA techniques).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal in English.
- Excellent data analysis skills.
- Process oriented with attention to detail.
To find out more about the Senior Human Factors Design Engineer opportunity, please be sure to review the Job Description at www.TallSky.ca. The salary for this role will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package is included.
How To Apply:
After reviewing the Job Description for the Senior Human Factors Design Engineer at www.TallSky.ca to learn about the key responsibilities and finer details of this role, qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter that Illustrates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this role. The Senior Human Factors Design Engineer can be based in Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON.
We thank all applicants who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.