Do you enjoy working in an open-concept environment where ideas among like-minded professionals are routinely exchanged with enthusiasm and support? Do you enjoy this atmosphere of communicating with team members in other disciplines as well as with new and existing customers; while also focusing on ground-breaking advancements in firmware engineering? Are you excited by the ideas of prototyping and being hands on in the design process? If so, we may have found the perfect job for you!
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to develop truly leading-edge products that add to Starfish Medical’s world-renowned medical device portfolio. This rare opportunity will provide the right candidate with challenges enabling you to grow your skills, knowledge and experience as you work on interesting and innovative client projects. You will have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of technologies, such-as cutting-edge concepts in wireless and ultrasound. A typical year at StarFish Medical means hands-on involvement on multiple projects for medical devices that meet various international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System.
ABOUT STARFISH MEDICAL
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 90+ technical product development professionals who focus on innovative & creative device design solutions for North American and international customers. Our projects range from tactical emergency medical service products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, imaging technologies and lab equipment. At any given time, our engineers work on a wide variety of concurrent projects.
Our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, will provide you an energizing, purpose-designed 15,000 (soon to be 20,000+) sq. ft. facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers. You will be part of a team that helps direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. In a recent survey, our employees rated peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
The primary responsibility of this position is to design, implement, maintain, and document software for medical products developed at Starfish Medical that meet international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System. This includes ownership of the design from the initial concept stage through to a complete release to manufacturing.
This position reports directly to the Software Engineering Manager.
As a Senior Software Engineer, your responsibilities will be to:
- Help brainstorm, architect, and engineer complex software applications and systems
- Set up, configure, and maintain development environments
- Implement software controls, standards, and processes
- Write and document software on various platforms
- Create and maintain Medical Device Design History Files
- Develop Detailed Design Specifications and Verification Plans
- Contribute to formal Design Reviews and Source Code Reviews
- Develop software tasks and estimates for customer proposals
- Collaborate with other team members, disciplines, departments, and external development partners
- Research, source, evaluate, and apply new technologies, APIs, libraries, and standards for medical device software
- Mentor and/or share knowledge with others
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Previous experience in a software lead or senior software position
- Mandatory: Strong ability to prioritize responsibilities and be highly flexible in a demanding product development environment.
- Mandatory: Excellent communication skills, both written, and oral.
- Desirable: Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC62304)
- Desirable: Experience developing software in a highly-regulated industry, such as: automotive, aerospace, medical.
- Desirable: Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a covering letter and resume that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position, as well as your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.