We are searching for a Supplier Quality Engineer who brings strong statistical analysis and a solid understanding of manufacturing processes. This position will focus on ensuring supplier quality and capabilities are audited, documented and qualified (ISO 13485) to supply custom parts for the development of our ground-breaking, leading edge medical devices.
Our ideal candidate is a guru in Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA), Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis (PFMEA) and the Six Sigma concept. The right person also understands the finer details of supplier quality, for instance, in knowing the difference between anodizing and powder coating and being able to evaluate these processes at the vendor level.
ABOUT STARFISH MEDICAL
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers. Our head office is located in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia and we are excited to have expanded to Toronto, Ontario based on our business success and growth. StarFish is looking for a Supplier Quality Engineer to join our team in either Victoria or Toronto.
At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 20,000 sq. ft. facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
The Supplier Quality Engineer is an integral part of the Supply Chain team. Reporting to the Purchasing Manager, this position will bridge the gap between Product Development engineers and the Supply Chain and will serve as the voice of Supply Chain in the early stages of the product development life cycle. Specifically, this position will:
- Evaluate new and existing custom part manufacturers for capability, capacity, quality systems and certifications, and assist purchasing with categorizing suppliers based on that criteria
- Audit new and existing custom parts manufacturers where necessary and recommend qualification or disqualification based on rigorous exploration of quality data gathered through audits and/or existing Starfish quality data.
- Conduct component/ supplier risk assessment reviews
- Participate in all relevant project development meetings and act as a bridge between the purchasing department and product development teams.
- Recommend suppliers and provide design input on materials and processes needed to ensure manufacturability and design for procurement considerations are communicated to project teams early in the design process.
- Compile and analyze supplier quality data and give input to supplier scorecards.
- Source and develop approved suppliers that will enable and enhance product development activities.
- Track project BOM costs through all phases of development.
- With the support of Purchasing, prepare RFQ packages for new components or changes to existing products.
- With the support of Purchasing, negotiate cost, delivery and quality for project components, both custom and standard.
- Work with project teams to communicate purchasing issues and concerns.
- Travel occasionally within Canada and US.
- Possess an understanding of Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA) and Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis (PFMEA) and the Six Sigma concept.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes including surface finishing, machining, plating, injection molding, electronic /semi-conductor fabrication etc.
- Excellent statistical analysis ability.
- Ability to read technical drawings/blueprints, bill of materials and CAD drawings.
- Proficient in standard MS Office software.
- Knowledge of MRP process.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- A demonstrated ability to act as an effective team player.
- Demonstration of good decision making skills.
- Ability to travel in Canada and the US.
- Minimum of five (5) years of buying and/or manufacturing quality support experience.
- 2-4 years of supplier quality engineering experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably with ISO 13485 experience.
- Manufacturing technologist/engineering experience.
- Knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures – preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- General understanding of technical terms related to our products and industry.
- Experience with an ERP software (SYSPRO experience a plus).
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter, resume and salary expectations that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position by Friday, August 11, 2017.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.