Based in Toronto, Ontario, the Bio Services Intermediate Microfluidics Engineer at StarFish Medical is a key part of our Bio Services team responsible for building and growing the capabilities of the department while working closely with our cross-functional project teams. Your big picture understanding of the requirements and your strong technical knowledge will both help to shape and define Biotech and Microfluidic based projects as you work collaboratively with clients and internal stakeholders to solve the right problems at the right time.
Your 3+ years of technical experience in microfluidics and assay development, ideally in the medical device development field, your knowledge of biochemistry, physiology, basic microbiology/cell culture laboratory skills, along with your solid understanding of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly will all help ensure your success in the role. This position reports directly to the Bio Services Manager.
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Translate assays or scientific models into functional microfluidic formats.
- Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks.
- Determine the most appropriate manufacturing method for assembly components, considering tolerances, cost, quantities and lead times.
- Research and select appropriate materials; then identify capable suppliers and vendors to purchase and expedite the delivery of key mechanical components.
- Create and control Bills of Materials.
- Work with development team to create product specifications to meet customer requirements and assess risks.
- Support documentation requirements in accordance with ISO13485 including but not limited to product specifications, risk analysis, verification test protocols.
- Interface with Industrial Designers to implement product concepts.
- Work with manufacturing personnel to develop assembly procedures for mechanical/electrical assemblies.
- Assemble and test prototypes.
- Support and review designs, focusing on both technical and commercial aspects.
- Adhere to and enhance the QMS, includes developing and maintaining documentation, as required.
- Identify potential process improvements and drive changes to successful adoption.
- Develop test plans, execute verification testing and write detailed test reports.
- Adhere to and enhance the StarFish Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
Required Qualifications and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ Years of technical experience in microfluidics and assay development.
- Relevant industry experience, ideally in the Medical Device Development field would be an asset.
- Hands-on experience in design, implementation, and fabrication of microfluidic cartridges.
- Experience in using Solid works, AutoCAD and/or Fusion 360.
- Ability to code and write script (Python, C++, etc.).
- Prior experience supporting highly integrated, product development projects with a proven track record of delivering high quality releases.
- Demonstrated experience with a deep understanding of the full development life cycle.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills.
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.)
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment and experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset.
Desired Qualifications and Abilities:
- Precision mechanical design.
- Understanding of common manufacturing processes, including rapid prototyping methods and materials.
- Good hands-on skills.
- Laboratory automation.
- Understanding of electrical principles and electronics.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Bio Services Intermediate Microfluidics Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
If you experience any difficulties with the StarFish Medical Job Portal, please reach out to email@example.com with a subject line of “Bio Services Intermediate Microfluidics Engineer Job Portal Issue”.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.