StarFish Medical is Canada’s largest medical device design, development and contract manufacturing company. We are actively recruiting an experienced Bio Services Microfluidics Engineer. You will be a key member of the Bio Services team responsible for building and growing the capabilities of the department. You will work in a state of the art, Class 10,000 clean room and microfluidics lab in partnership with our clients and internal stakeholders to solve the right problems at the right time. Your big picture understanding of the requirements and your strong technical knowledge will help to shape and define Biotech and Microfluidic based projects.
Your 8+ years of microfluidics development experience is highly valued and will include hands-on experience in design, implementation, and fabrication of microfluidics cartridges. You have the ability to think strategically while balancing the details and your knowledge of biochemistry, physiology, basic microbiology/cell culture laboratory skills, combined with your solid understanding of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly will all help ensure your projects success. The Bio Services Group of engineers, physicists, industrial designers, regulatory and manufacturing experts work directly with clients to ensure an optimal outcome.
StarFish Medical will offer you:
• An award-winning company culture with strong guiding principles, and a tight knit, collaborative engineering team.
• The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology and the satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology.
• Profit sharing, competitive compensation, and an excellent company paid benefits package.
• Monthly all-hands meetings and an active social committee.
• TTC/Transit subsidy.
The Bio Services Microfluidics Engineer will:
• Translate assays or scientific models into functional microfluidic formats.
• Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks.
• Determine the most appropriate manufacturing method for assembly components, considering tolerances, cost, quantities, and lead times.
• Research and select appropriate materials; then identify capable suppliers and vendors to purchase and expedite the delivery of key mechanical components.
• Create and control Bills of Materials.
• Work with development team to create product specifications to meet customer requirements and assess risks.
• Support documentation requirements in accordance with ISO13485 including but not limited to product specifications, risk analysis, verification test protocols.
• Interface with Industrial Designers to implement product concepts.
• Work with manufacturing personnel to develop assembly procedures for mechanical/electrical assemblies.
• Design, build, assemble, and test prototypes.
• Support and review designs, focusing on both technical and commercial aspects.
• Adhere to and enhance the QMS, includes developing and maintaining documentation, as required.
• Identify potential process improvements and drive changes to successful adoption.
• Develop test plans, execute verification testing, and write detailed test reports.
• Adhere to and enhance the StarFish Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
Required Qualifications and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s in Engineering (Biomedical, Mechanical, or Chemical), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 8+ years of microfluidics development experience, including hands-on experience in design, implementation, and fabrication of microfluidic cartridges.
• Experience in using Solid works, AutoCAD, or Fusion 360.
• Experience supporting highly integrated, product development projects with a proven track record of delivering high quality releases.
• Experience developing microfluidic devices through all phases of the product development life cycle.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills.
Additional Desired Qualifications and Abilities:
• Understanding of common manufacturing processes, including rapid prototyping methods and materials.
• Experience with laboratory automation.
• Assay development experience
• Ability to code and write script (Python, C++, etc.).
• Understanding of electrical principles and electronics.
• Previous experience working in a regulated environment (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.)
• Previous experience working in a consulting environment and experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Bio Services Microfluidics Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.