The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) we are seeking brings that perfect blend of entrepreneurial enthusiasm and experience, balanced with a strong analytical approach and proven big picture understanding of complex and growing organizations. These highly valued attributes will be essential as you proactively direct and oversee all financial activities for the StarFish Medical group of companies. This position will be based in either their Toronto, ON or Victoria, BC offices.
Reporting directly to the President, the CFO will oversee the analysis of financial reports, prepare executive summaries, create forecasts predicting future growth, and evaluate new opportunities. A key focus of your role will be developing the strategies for future acquisitions and investments, from the identification of interesting opportunities through to the contract negotiations. Your natural curiosity and professional insight and experience will be relied upon to structure new start-ups aligned with other companies within the organization.
Would you describe yourself as an independent thinker who can anticipate the decision needs of an organization and create a solid business case by identifying key data and working through sound financial and business analysis? Have your proven abilities to partner with executive and leadership teams, establishing positive, productive relationships allowed you to bring increased value to the organizations you have worked with? Do you enjoy motivating and managing teams, as well as building solid vendor and stakeholder relationships? If you’re intrigued by this unique opportunity, please read more about this senior leadership position.
Key responsibilities of CFO include:
- Oversee the preparation of all financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, management reports, tax returns, and all governmental agency reports.
- Compare sales and profit projections to actual figures, and budgeted expenses to actual expenses, managing any required adjustments to future projections and budgets.
- Provide advice and guidance on tax related matters.
- Review planning processes and suggest improvements to current methods.
- Analyze operations and identify areas that will benefit from streamlining.
- Work with the President and other executives to coordinate planning and establish priorities for the planning process.
- Study long-range economic trends and project their impact on future growth in sales and market share.
- Identify opportunities for expansion into new product areas in partnership with internal teams.
- Oversee investment of funds, and works with investment bankers to raise additional capital required for expansion.
- Oversee all financial aspects of acquisitions.
- Prepare shareholder agreements.
- Provide operational leadership to the finance team, focusing on continual performance improvement, change management, team development, coaching, and succession planning?
- As a key member of the senior leadership team, provide overall organizational and business leadership to the growing corporation, bringing a leadership focus to sustaining and evolving the culture
Required Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance required, with a Master’s degree preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant designation preferred, with CA experience.
- 10+ Years of financial leadership experience, with experience in a regulated environment an asset.
- Experience identifying business opportunities, analyzing the competitive landscape, and developing financial models that are consistent with the company’s overall growth strategy.
- Experience building, managing and mentoring a best-in-class finance operation (team, systems, and processes) in a fast paced, rapidly growing environment
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Proficient in database and accounting computer application systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity for systems thinking and able to balance planning while making adjustments as required.
- Ability to develop growth-enhancing relationships and manage multiple stakeholder needs while collaborating to find common ground.
- Willingness to initiate difficult conversations and adept at resolving conflicts within appropriate timeframes.
- Ability to balance short term investments with long term performance.
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Chief Financial Officer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.