StarFish Medical has a unique opportunity for a Human Factors Design Engineer based in Toronto, ON or Victoria, BC to manage user-centered research activities and client interactions related to the innovative design and development of novel medical devices. If you bring a strong understanding of the product development process from concept ideation through to manufacture, as well as a deep understanding of the Human Factors discipline for device design, you could be a part of our collaborative Industrial Design & Human Factors group and join our award winning culture!
StarFish Medical offers:
- Award winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principals
- Competitive compensation
- Team profit sharing program
- Excellent company-paid benefits package
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- TTC/Transit subsidy
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work
How will you add value?
- The graphical and physical user interface experience you bring will help support our product development teams throughout the medical device design and development lifecycle.
- You will influence this process by conducting user research and providing input related to human capabilities and product interactions for design.
- Your participation in brainstorming events, presenting usability solutions, evaluating potential use errors for risk, performing usability assessments to inform design, and contributing to the verification and the validation of medical devices, will all be invaluable in contributing within this dynamic and creative team environment.
Our ideal Human Factors Design Engineer brings:
- Bachelor degree in Human Factors, Industrial Design, Industrial Engineering, UX Research or Design, Biomedical Engineering, or other related discipline.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience with a strong understanding of the product development process.
- Experience in planning, conducting, and reporting on Human Factors Usability Validations, preferably in medical device development.
- Familiarity with existing IEC Usability standards, AAMI Human Factors standards and FDA Human Factors Guidance, including experience interacting with FDA and other regulatory bodies.
- Experience with Human Factors or User-centered design methodologies including generative research, user needs assessment, design concepts, and usability evaluations in support of product development, ideally including user-facing activities and interactions with clinicians.
- Experience with risk management activities applied by Human Factors to medical devices (e.g., UEA, AFMEA, UFMEA, URA techniques).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal in English.
- Excellent data analysis skills.
- Process oriented with attention to detail.
If this opportunity excites you and you would love to be part of the innovation, excitement, and award-winning culture found at StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Careers Portal.
If you experience any difficulties with the StarFish Medical Job Portal, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Human Factors Engineer | Job Portal Issue.
We thank all candidates who apply; however, after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.