We are searching for an Industrial Designer who is looking for that special company where creativity and innovation is embraced and celebrated.
The Industrial Designer will have the opportunity to ask difficult questions, use good strategy, apply innovative technologies and follow through with creative, well-engineered, award-winning medical device designs. Reporting to the ID Manager, it will be critical to collaborate with senior designers, engineers and physicists in a vibrant multi-disciplinary team. There is an opportunity for this role to be Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical teams work in energizing, purpose-designed facilities with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets and customers. Expand your career and industry experience while fostering relationships with our top-tier medical technology clients, all while working on cutting edge projects that range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
If this is the type of collegial and supportive environment you strive to be a part of, and you love to apply both the art and science of design working directly with our clients and product development teams, then we encourage you to read on!
Our perfect candidate:
You will bring a very user-centric approach to every new project, completing research to understand the workflow and use environment for the design and development of medical devices to elegantly and purposely meet the needs of our clients. Your sketching and ideation skills pull initial design ideas together, provide solutions to problems and translate concepts from the prototype to the manufacturing process. You have the technical education and at least 5 years experience in industrial design utilizing programs like Solid Works, Photoshop and Illustrator to bring designs to life. You understand that collaborative, cross functional teams are the most effective and your communication skills successfully bring these diverse groups together to spawn creative, open-minded and out-of- the-box thinking. The Industrial Designer reports directly to the ID Functional Manager.
- Ideate solutions to problems through sketching and sketch models and prepare quality presentations according to StarFish standards
- Plan, perform and report on usability analysis, both formative and summative, with necessary travel to investigative site. Generate useful and representative workflow representations
- Demonstrate compelling consideration of user experience in the development of medical devices
- Graphic design and user interface development
- Research and select appropriate materials; then identify capable suppliers and vendors to purchase and expedite the delivery of key mechanical components
- Create concepts suitable for presentation to clients with appropriate refinement
- Provide input on mechanism design and appropriate solutions to mechanical challenges
- Create prototypes, solid models and detailed mechanical component, assembly, and enclosure drawings; also drawings in support of intellectual property submissions
- Capture and synthesize project inputs, perform problem identification and establish project scope.
- Create and maintain positive client interaction to sustain healthy client relationships and promote future collaboration
- Determine the appropriate method of manufacture (e.g. sheet metal, machining, casting, injection moulding, stamping, extrusions etc.); knowledge of tooling is helpful
- Support product certification efforts (CSA, UL, CE)
- Transfer designs to manufacturing
- Support Bills of Materials development; revision control of all drawings
- Write usability specifications
- Any other related duties, as required
- BA, BS or MS in Industrial Design
- Proficient use of SolidWorks, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Minimum of 5 years of industrial design experience
- Experience working in a consultancy or as a freelancer
- Strong analytically
- Sketching and Ideation skills
- Model making and prototyping skills
- Project planning knowledge
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package are included.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume, portfolio link and cover letter that clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, your salary expectations, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.