We have an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate Electronics Engineer to join the growing product development team at StarFish Medical in Victoria, BC, or Toronto, ON. Do you bring 3+ years of experience designing electronic devices in a product development environment? Would you love the opportunity to join a multidisciplinary team of medical technology experts and contribute to the design and development of cutting-edge, ground-breaking medical products and novel technologies? If so, this may be the opportunity you have been seeking!
StarFish Medical will offer you:
- Award-winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principles.
- Competitive compensation.
- Team profit sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- Monthly All-hands meetings and social events that happen both during the workday and outside of work hours.
- 50% BC Transit/TTC cost sharing.
- Both locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work, and Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the office.
- Both locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises.
The Intermediate Electronics Engineer on our team:
- Designs, prototypes, tests, and troubleshoots electrical sub-systems and electronic devices of moderate complexity and contributes to the design and development of complex devices.
- Creates schematic diagrams, lays out printed circuit boards, and on occasion writes low-level firmware.
- Simulates and verifies designs and documents design decisions to maintain traceability.
- Applies electronics engineering expertise to ensure compliance with industry standards and best practices.
- Contributes to the development and verification of detailed specifications based on client-specific technologies and product requirements.
- Generates documentation for verification, transfer to manufacturing, and submission to regulatory approval authorities.
- Works in a multidisciplinary team that includes mechanical engineers, software engineers, industrial designers, project managers, and regulatory and manufacturing experts.
- Mentors and leads junior engineers and coop students
- Continuously expands technical knowledge and skills.
- Contributes to Starfish’s culture of excellence, collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement.
Our ideal candidate brings:
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Engineering Physics.
Required Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years of recent experience designing electronic devices in a product development environment.
- Experience designing PCB’s (Altium Designer experience preferred).
- Hands-on experience bringing up, troubleshooting, and repairing hardware (including soldering and reworking SMT parts).
- Demonstrated ability to apply electronics theory and critical thinking to solve challenging technical problems.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Comfortable operating basic lab equipment (bench supplies, signal generators, oscilloscopes, bench multimeters, spectrum analyzers, etc.).
- Proficiency in Electrical CAD software for schematic capture and PCB design (Ex. Altium, OrCAD, KiCAD).
- Circuit analysis using a SPICE simulator (Ex. LTSpice, TinaTI, etc.).
- Hardware design for embedded systems.
- Design for Manufacturability & Test.
- Product development life cycle.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English.
Additional desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities that will help you thrive:
- Knowledge of common bio-medical technologies (ultrasonics, optics, lasers, electromagnetics, fluidics, control systems).
- Design for Electromagnetic Compliance.
- Wireless communications implementation.
- Experience writing well-documented and structured firmware in C.
- Regulatory compliance, QA, and QC requirements related to the development of medical devices (Ex. IEC60601, ISO 13485)
StarFish Medical is Canada’s leading Medical Device Design service provider with a full complement of design, development, and manufacturing services in Victoria and Toronto. We successfully partner with innovative companies (both large and small) to create breakthrough products for a number of medical specialty areas. Our work environment received Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2021 award recognizing best-in-class cultures that have helped enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Portal. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm PST on Tuesday, October 18, 2022.
If you experience any difficulties when applying, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with the “Intermediate Electronics Engineer Job Portal Issue.” subject line.
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted following initial application acknowledgment. No phone calls, please.