Starfish Medical has a new opportunity for an Intermediate Firmware Engineer to take ownership of the firmware design for complex medical devices from the initial concept stage through to a complete release to manufacturing. Reporting directly to the Software Manager, the primary responsibility of the Intermediate Firmware Engineer is the design, implementation, maintenance, and documentation of firmware for products developed at Starfish Medical.
This position can be based in Toronto, Ontario or Victoria, British Columbia, where you will be working in an environment filled with both engineering excellence and truly meaningful employee engagement and transparency.
Responsibilities of the Intermediate Firmware Engineer include:
- Developing firmware for complex medical devices and systems through brainstorming, architecting, and engineering solutions
- Collaborating with other disciplines, departments, and external development partners including mentoring and sharing knowledge with others
- Assisting business development and project managers by developing firmware tasks and estimates for customer proposals
- Providing content for design documentation including contributing to formal design and source code reviews
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience developing firmware for commercial products.
- Product development experience throughout the product development lifecycle, specifically developing firmware for electronic devices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, and verbal in English.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, or medical.
- Experience developing firmware for a variety of microcontrollers.
- Experience programming in C and Assembly or C++.
- DSP and FPGA development experience.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Intermediate Firmware Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.