Based in Toronto, Ontario, the Intermediate Mechanical Engineer at StarFish Medical contributes to the design of world class mechanical engineering components and systems for medical devices. Focusing on safety, efficacy, innovation and robustness, your contribution will maximize the value for our client’s product goals.
Your 3+ years of experience creating solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks will help ensure your success in the role. Prior experience in the medical device development field would be very beneficial, and experience generating G-code and programing micro-CNC machines would be an asset. Strong engineering theory, research skills and a solid understanding of materials will be required to design and select key mechanical components. This position reports directly to the Mechanical Engineering Team Manager.
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks.
- Determine the most appropriate manufacturing method for assembly components, considering tolerances, cost, quantities and lead times.
- Research and select appropriate materials; then identify capable suppliers and vendors to purchase and expedite the delivery of key mechanical components
- Create and control Bills of Materials.
- Generate G-code and program our micro-CNC machine.
- Create and manage equipment documentation (safety procedures, operating instructions).
- Work with development team to create product specifications to meet customer requirements and assess risks.
- Support documentation requirements in accordance with ISO13485 including but not limited to product specifications, risk analysis, verification test protocols.
- Interface with Industrial Designers to implement product concepts.
- Work with manufacturing personnel to develop assembly procedures for mechanical/electrical assemblies
- Assemble and test prototypes.
- Develop test plans, execute verification testing and write detailed test reports.
- Adhere to and enhance the StarFish Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Other related duties, as required.
Required Qualifications and Abilities:
- Engineering, Engineering Technologist, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ Years of relevant regulated industry experience, ideally in the medical device development field with experience in an ISO 13485 environment preferred.
- Experience with 3D modeling CAD software, preferably using SolidWorks.
- Experience generating G-code and programming micro-CNC machines.
- Demonstrated good documentation practices.
- Strong organizational, leadership, decision-making, and relationship skills.
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment and experience developing mechanical solutions for high-end medical devices is an asset.
Desired Qualifications and Abilities:
- Experience designing, assembling and testing precision mechanical systems.
- Understanding of common manufacturing processes, including machining, moulding and rapid prototyping methods and materials.
- Good hands-on skills.
- Laboratory and clean-room experience, particularly with microfluidic systems, would be an asset.
- Functional understanding of electrical principles and electronics.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Intermediate Mechanical Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.