Medical device software and Software- As-A-Medical-Device (SaMD) is an exploding industry and Starfish Medical is at the forefront of this new and exciting market. Do you enjoy absorbing new technologies and understanding how complex systems interact? Do you want to work with distributed computing, cloud, AI and REST APIs and embedded devices? Does the idea of deep dives into cryptography, human-device-interface, or 3D rendering excite you?
If you like the idea of turning cutting edge technology into marketable Software Medical Devices, then Starfish has the opportunity of a life time waiting for you. We are seeking a dynamic Intermediate Software Developer to join our Software Development Team. This position is based in Toronto, Ontario or Victoria, British Columbia, where you will be working in an environment filled with both engineering excellence and truly meaningful employee engagement and transparency.
Desirable Technical Skills
We are looking for some or all of the following skill sets:
- 3-5 years in a high level language like C#, Java, C++ or VB.net
- Experience using scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Lua, Node.js
- Cybersecurity, cryptography, and encryption experience. Understanding of physical security is desirable
- UX/UI, user interface or website implementation.
- Cross platform skills (e.g. Two or more of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BSD)
- “Full stack” web development. Various stacks will be considered
- Database experience. RDBMS or NoSQL
- 2D and 3D model rendering
There is no set technology stack so we require flexible individuals that enjoy learning and absorbing new technologies and applying them. We sometimes work in a high pressure projects where mistakes can be costly so the individual will require fortitude and determination. We also have a great deal of fun making prototypes and ideas into reality. If you see yourself in this description, then we are interested in hearing from you!
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Help brainstorm, architect, and engineer complex software applications and systems for medical devices
- Set up, configure, and maintain development environments
- Implement software controls, standards, and processes
- Write and document software on various platforms
- Help maintain Medical Device Design History Files
- Help develop Detailed Design Specifications and Verification Plans
- Contribute to formal Design Reviews and Source Code Reviews
- Help develop software tasks and estimates for customer proposals
- Collaborate with other team members, disciplines, departments, and external development partners
- Research, source, evaluate, and apply new technologies, APIs, libraries, and standards for medical device software
- Mentor and/or share knowledge with others
- Perform other related duties, as required
- Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Previous experience in an intermediate software position
- Mandatory: Excellent communication skills, both written, and oral.
- 5 Years’ experience developing software for commercial products.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304)
- Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
How To Apply:
Qualified Intermediate Software Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.