Based in Victoria, BC, we have an opening for a Junior Mechanical Engineer to join the development team at StarFish Medical and contribute to the design of world class mechanical engineering components and systems for medical devices. With 1 year of New Product Introduction (NPI) experience required, the Junior Mechanical Engineer reports to the Mechanical Engineering NPI Team Lead, and brings the ability to learn and understand processes, and an eye for manufacturability. As a designer, you’ll rely on your mechanical fundamentals, as well as your ability to learn and apply manufacturing concepts.
You will utilize strong mechanical fundamentals and new product development experience (preferably in medical device field) to help create and transfer leading edge medical devices into the marketplace.
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
Responsibilities of Junior Mechancial Engineer include:
- Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks.
- Working under our experienced team, assist in the design of products for Manufacturing, Assembly, Service, and Testing (DFMA/S/T).
- Assist in transferring new products to manufacturing.
- Assist in creating Device Master Records for both prototype and production devices.
- Work with manufacturing personnel to develop assembly procedures for mechanical/electrical assemblies.
- Assist in change management (ECR/ECO) and sustaining engineering activities.
- Assist in the development in test plans and methods for a variety of products.
- Execute Verification Testing and write detailed Test Reports.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Provide contributions to projects that lead to customer success.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Qualifications and Abilities of the Junior Mechanical Engineer:
- Bsc. Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 1 Year of relevant industry experience in new product development or manufacturing is required; medical device field or similar regulated industry experience is preferred.
- In addition to the above, the following would be beneficial: lean design or manufacturing knowledge, laboratory automation, good hands-on skills, and drawing and CAD modelling skills.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Junior Mechanical Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.