By joining the StarFish team, you will make a difference in the lives of millions worldwide. We are a product development and low-volume contract manufacturing consultancy focused on medical devices and laboratory test equipment. Many of the devices we consult on and manufacture are complex electromechanical systems, requiring our engineers and designers to work closely together to develop these systems. Working at StarFish Medical ensures you will be part of an award-winning, multi-disciplinary development team that delivers elegant solutions, exceptional customer service, and final products that enable our customers’ commercial success.
Reporting to the NPI Manager, the Manufacturing Engineer will work closely with the Manufacturing and Product Development teams to develop manufacturing processes and procedures and support design transfer, process validation and change control, all while managing the complexity of product development within the regulated medical device field. The Manufacturing Engineer will use their leadership, collaboration skills and expertise to ensure effective transfer of products to Manufacturing.
You have the ability to foster and build relationships, actively listen, solicit critical information, and respond to technical engineering requirements and client feedback. In this role, you will focus on bringing together StarFish and all its departments, including our clients and vendors, to ensure timely and seamless low to medium-volume production, ongoing engineering changes and cost-reduction activities through the commercialization process.
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Base salary range is expected to be between
$70,963 – $113,184 CAD. Annual variable compensation tied to goal completion targets 3-8% of the base salary. Employees are also eligible to earn profit sharing.
StarFish Medical works with external compensation consultants annually to ensure our ranges reflect the market and our compensation philosophy. StarFish Medical utilizes a career framework that outlines the skills, abilities and behaviours required to move between levels of a job family. Placement within a range is based on those skills, abilities, and behaviours. When candidates are assessed for the posted position, we may find that their skills are more aligned with a different level and will discuss that as a separate opportunity. That position may have a different pay range. The range posted includes all geographic locations to ensure the available base pay range is shared. If a candidate is moving forward in the hiring process past the first interview, we can share the band specific to their geographic location.
Benefits of working at StarFish Medical
- The opportunity to work on ground-breaking technology.
- Award-winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principles.
- Team profit-sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- Monthly All-hands meetings.
- Active social committee.
- 50% BC Transit / TTC cost-sharing in Toronto.
- Both locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work; Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the Office.
- Both locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises.
- Work professionally with internal and external clients to support product delivery that meets their business and regulatory objectives.
- Develop procedures to support the manufacturing process of new products.
- Collaborate with the Product Development team to ensure manufacturability and effective design transfer of new products to commercialization.
- Responsible for selection, installation, qualification (IQ/OQ/PQ), test method validation, and sustaining support of tooling and equipment utilized in Manufacturing.
- Provide schedule and budgetary input for new manufacturing programs.
- Support the Supply Chain team in the selection and qualification of new suppliers. Works closely with suppliers, purchasing and development to ensure design requirements are adequately defined and met.
- Support new product manufacturability by conducting research, feasibility testing, and process validation.
- Support engineering prototype builds within the product development process.
- Plan, execute, and document verification/validation/engineering testing.
- Conduct time studies to determine accurate labour estimates for transferred products.
- Conduct training and provide guidance and supervision for Production Technicians on assembling, testing, troubleshooting, and repair techniques of electromechanical equipment.
- Implement and promote lean manufacturing principles and creative problem-solving techniques.
- Generate and implement Nonconformance reports and Engineering Change Requests.
- Foster a culture of innovation and creativity within the commercialization team.
- Provide progress reports as required.
- Travel between Victoria and Toronto will be required.
Education, Skills & Attributes
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant Engineering discipline (with preference to Electrical or Electronics) or equivalent education gained through work experience.
- Experience MUST be in Medical Device post-design transfer Manufacturing.
- 5+ years of experience & knowledge in Medical Devices Manufacturing, Testing, or Process Engineering.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal & written.
- Strong planning, relationship-building, and negotiation skills.
- Innovative problem-solving skills and proven adaptability.
- Demonstrated experience with and a deep understanding of the full development life cycle.
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (ISO 13485, FDA, etc.) and following a Quality Management System.
- Able to manage ambiguity with a demonstrated ability to bring order.
- Able to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced startup environment, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities.
- Expertise in lean manufacturing principles, with hands-on experience implementing lean tools and methodologies, will be considered an asset.
Thanks in advance for your interest in StarFish Medical!
Our work environment received Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture awards for 2021, 2022 & 2023, recognizing best-in-class cultures that have helped enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage. We are Canada’s leading Medical Device Design service provider with a full complement of design, development, and low-contract manufacturing services in Victoria and Toronto. We successfully partner with innovative companies (both large and small) to create breakthrough products for several medical specialty areas.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Portal.
If you experience difficulties with the StarFish Medical Job Portal, don’t hesitate to contact [email protected] with the subject line “Manufacturing Engineer | Job Portal Issue.”
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted after initial acknowledgement. No phone calls, please.
We look forward to meeting you!