The Mechanical Engineer, based in Victoria, BC, or Toronto, ON, will join the development team at StarFish Medical and contribute to the design of world class mechanical engineering components and systems for medical devices. The Mechanical Engineer brings 6+ years of new product development experience in low and moderate production volumes. Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering NPI Team Lead, the Mechanical Engineer brings experience in product development and bringing products to the market. As a designer, you will rely on your mechanical fundamentals, as well as your experience in Design for Manufacture and Assembly, to help create and transfer leading edge medical devices into the marketplace.
StarFish Medical offers NPI Engineers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
Responsibilities of Mechanical Engineer include:
- Work within a development team to create product specifications to meet customer requirements and assess risks.
- Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks.
- Design products for Manufacturing, Assembly, Service, and Testing (DFMA/S/T) using your broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Support documentation requirements in accordance with ISO13485 including but not limited to product specifications, risk analysis, verification test protocols.
- Drive transfer of new products to manufacturing.
- Create Device Master Records for both prototype and production devices.
- Work with manufacturing personnel to develop assembly procedures for mechanical/electrical assemblies.
- Drive change management (ECR/ECO) and sustaining engineering activities.
- Develop test plans and methods for a variety of products.
- Execute verification testing and write detailed test reports.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Provide contributions to projects that lead to customer success.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Qualifications and Abilities of the Mechanical Engineer:
- BSc/MSc. Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 6+ Years of relevant industry experience including new product development in low and moderate production volumes, and launching new products to market.
- Medical device field or similar regulated experience is preferred.
- In addition to the above, the following experience would be beneficial: reliability Engineering (with CRE certification an asset), plastics design, electro-mechanical industry, and lean design or manufacturing knowledge.
- Good hands-on skills, project planning/management experience, and requirements gathering experience are desirable.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Mechanical Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.