As a Mechanical Engineer at StarFish Medical in Victoria, BC, you will join a talented multidisciplinary team who are driving the development of world class mechanical engineering components and systems for revolutionary medical devices that help save lives. StarFish Medical has an award-winning culture and is Canada’s largest medical device design, development and contract manufacturing company.
The Mechanical Engineer will bring 8+ years of product development experience in the manufacturing field, ideally in a regulated environment. In this role, you will create components and systems as part of the whole product solution for our clients. In addition to designing the electro-mechanical engineering systems, your focus will also include safety, efficacy, innovation, and robustness to maximize the value for our client’s product goals.
StarFish Medical offers the Mechanical Engineer:
- An award-winning company culture with strong core values, and a tight knit, collaborative engineering team
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology and the satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- Profit sharing, competitive compensation, and an excellent company paid benefits package
- Monthly all-hands meetings and an active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing, and Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work.
Responsibilities of Mechanical Engineer include:
- Use a broad range of engineering tools (modeling, analysis, prototyping etc.) to create components and systems as part of the whole product solution for our clients.
- Quickly understand novel technologies and engage with moving them forward towards a product.
- Efficiently analyze problems and synthesize your experience and breadth of knowledge of engineering fundamentals to generate innovative ideas and design concepts that meets the client’s needs.
- Lead effective design reviews and ensure that products are developed appropriately for the medical regulatory environment.
- Create solid models, assemblies and detailed component drawings using SolidWorks, and determine the most appropriate manufacturing methods for components, considering the design stage, tolerances, cost, quantities, process capabilities and lead times.
- Work collaboratively with the development team to create product specifications in accordance with ISO13485 to meet customer requirements and assess risks; this may include, but is not limited to: product specifications, risk analysis, verification test protocols.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Manage your time across concurrent projects, working with project managers and 2-3 other team members to prioritize tasks. Cooperate with and understand the design challenges being addressed by other project team members; help determine and drive toward solutions.
- Provide technical leadership for junior team members.
- Support the development and maintenance of project plans; setting and adhering to milestones, deliverables and budgets.
Required Qualifications and Abilities of the Mechanical Engineer:
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ Years of electro-mechanical product development experience, ideally with 5+ years in a regulated product development or manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency with Solidworks CAD
- Experience designing, prototyping and testing medical devices (for example: catheters, mobile or fixed medical devices), precision lab equipment, or electro-mechanical systems of similar complexity.
- Understanding of common manufacturing processes, including urethane castings, injection molding, sheet metal and rapid prototyping methods.
- Good hands-on skills.
In addition to the above, the following are desirable:
- Experience in a project-based consulting engineering environment is an asset.
- Project or personnel management responsibilities is an asset
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Mechanical Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.