We have an exciting new opportunity in Victoria, BC, for a Payroll Specialist to join the growing team at StarFish Medical. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for handling all payroll processing duties and will provide assistance to accounting as and when necessary. The satisfaction that comes from doing a great job, and working independently to accomplish challenging tasks, are driving motivators for you. Your ability to apply sound judgement and problem solving skills while ensuring confidentiality and discretion at all times will be critical to your success in this role. You pay close attention to detail and build positive relationships with your colleagues throughout the organization. You are able to manage payroll in multiple provinces (BC and Ontario) and states (Massachusetts), and for multiple companies.
- Process full-cycle bi-monthly payroll for our locations (Canada and USA) using UKG (formerly UltiSoft), ensuring payroll compliance with relevant laws and internal policies
- Ensuring payroll payments in accordance with employee contract and payroll amendment forms
- Review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets (Mavenlink is the time management system)
- Communicate with department supervisors to resolve any discrepancy in timesheets
- Ensure accurate coding of timesheet information for payroll purposes, and conduct payroll and benefit audits to ensure data integrity
- Answer employee queries about payroll, leave amounts, tax forms or any other compensation related issues.
- Research labour and payroll laws for new provinces/states as required, and communicate with CRA for any payroll related issues
- Maintain proper paperwork and ensure data accuracy related to new hires
- Calculation of Severance pay
- Issuing ROEs, T4s and any other Government mandated forms on time with accurate working paper, such as WCB, EHT and Wage Subsidy
- Conduct and manage all payroll related accounting functions such as posting of payroll journal entries, month-end accruals, preparation of month-end reporting and working papers and assisting in year-end review, and tracking and deducting all government mandated payroll deductions.
- Review the current payroll process with constant improvement opportunities
- Keep the employee benefits plan enrolment up to date and verify against invoices.
- Any other ad hoc duties related to payroll and accounting.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certification from Canadian Payroll Association
- 3 – 5 years of payroll experience required, with experience in other accounting departments desired (Canada required, and USA preferred). Strong knowledge of payroll and workers compensation legal requirements and awareness of recent Government amendments for payroll
- Proficiency in Microsoft office products including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent attention to detail
- High degree of discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Ability to work under pressure and to work additional time where necessary to meet deadlines
- Ability to establish priorities, work and think independently, and proceed with objectives without direct supervision
- Previous experience with Mavenlink, UKG and Syspro is an asset
- Legally eligible to work for any employer in Canada
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through our brand new Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position. In your cover letter, please tell us about your experience with Excel pivot tables and how you’ve used them in your payroll history.
If you have any issues with our job portal, please reach out to email@example.com with a subject line of “Payroll Specialist Job Portal Issue”
This position is based in Victoria, BC. If you are not already based in Victoria, please address your willingness to relocate in your application.
We thank all applicants who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.