We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Industrial Designer. As a natural multidisciplinary collaborator, you will work with the talented team of medical technology experts, to bring your design excellence and craftsmanship to the development of cutting-edge medical devices and provide mentorship and inspire the junior design team.
As a key member of the Product Development team there will be the opportunity to ask difficult questions, use good strategy, apply innovative technologies and follow through with creative, well-engineered, award-winning medical design products. You will be the one who advocates for creative solutions using the latest technology and techniques and you relish the challenge of solving unsolvable problems. Your ability to see the big picture and avoid getting trapped too early in the details will provide the vision that delivers novel designs and IP for clients.
Key Responsibilities and Requirements of the Principal Industrial Designer:
- Lead design teams on multiple projects concurrently.
- Self-sufficiency required to manage successful solutions to design problems with little to no oversight.
- Able to identify challenges early that may not be obvious to the team or client.
- Excellent communication skills to help engage with clients to ensure the product vision is well captured and conveyed.
- Ideate solutions to problems and quickly be able to communicate to clients through sketching and sketch models and to prepare quality presentations according to StarFish standards.
- Capture and synthesize project inputs, perform problem identification, and establish project scope.
- Create and maintain positive client interactions to sustain healthy client relationships and promote future collaboration.
- Create quality and robust CAD solid models that can be used as master models for subsequent mechanical detailing and not prone to errors.
- Manage the design budget and deliver on time.
- Assist business development activities for the ID/HF department,
Our Ideal Principal Industrial Designer Candidate brings:
- Minimum 12-15 years of experience in Industrial Design, with at least 5 years specifically in medical device development.
- BA, BS or MS in Industrial Design or related background.
- Expert knowledge of:
- Familiar with usability related regulatory body standards and guidances a plus.
- Experience in hospital environment observations and in user interviews.
- Excellent front end skills, can tell a great story.
- Sketching and Ideation skills, model making and prototyping skills.
- Experience in a design control environment.
- Experience with a PDM system.
- Project planning knowledge.
- Analytical and passionate about Design!
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package are included.
StarFish Medical offers:
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
How To Apply:
After reviewing the Job Description at www.TallSky.ca to learn about the key responsibilities and finer details of the Principal Industrial Designer role, qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position. This position is based in Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON.
We thank all applicants who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.