We are searching for a Project Engineer who is looking for that special company where a creative, collegial, and supportive culture is so important.
Focusing on the key responsibilities of project planning and tracking, documentation and design review, you will contribute to the development of new products and novel technologies from initial concept through to engineering and the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production process.
About StarFish Medical
StarFish teams work in an energizing, purpose-designed 20,000 sq. ft. facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets and customers. Expand your career and industry experience while fostering relationships with our top-tier medical technology clients, all while working on cutting edge projects ranging from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
You will be working in beautiful Victoria, BC, where visitors are immediately met with a smile and an open concept office The environment is filled with both a sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and also genuine employee engagement and transparency that is truly meaningful.
In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
If this is the type of creative environment you strive to be a part of, and you love the diversity of an engineering role where no two days are alike, then we encourage you to read on!
Our perfect candidate:
Reporting to the Manager, Project Management, you have been a technical project manager, project engineer or systems engineer for at least two years and have experience in an ISO regulatory environment. Your engineering background allows you to deliver new products and technical solutions that will impact the health and well-being of others. You are someone who has the ability to shift your focus and priorities from the client to the technology and to your team. You understand that collaborative, cross functional teams are the most effective, and your communication skills successfully bring these diverse groups together to spawn creative, open-minded, and out-of- the-box thinking. You also take intense pride in a project well done, delivered on time, and on budget.
The Project Engineer will thrive as a member of our inspiring teams working to meet their common goal. You will support Project Managers as a member of a cross-functional team to successfully deliver technical projects on time and on budget. You will support clients throughout the development process to ensure that expectations are met while using your knowledge of sound engineering practices and regulatory requirements to navigate projects in the ISO13485 environment.
In this position, you may find yourself leading smaller projects on your own, or supporting a Senior Project Manager on larger projects and working in a small team of like-minded professionals. Ideally, we are looking for people who have been a technical project manager, project engineer or systems engineer for at least two years focused on product development or new product introduction.
If you thrive in an environment where no two days are the same; where ambiguity and uncertainty are expected, and where you regularly change your focus from the client to the technology and to your team, then we encourage you to apply.
- Work with Senior Project Managers on project planning, proposal writing, project tracking, client invoicing, as well as the creation and maintenance of project documentation.
- Contribute to the development of new products and novel technologies from initial concept through detailed design.
- Initiate and lead effective brainstorming sessions that will spawn creative, open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking.
- Initiate and lead design reviews as required.
- Interface with Business Development to develop project proposals and support the transfer of new activities into Engineering.
- Oversee the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Support vendor quotations, POs and lead times to monitor BOM targets and ensure cost-effective manufacturing processes are chosen during design.
- Work closely with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled.
- Ensure that all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including the development and maintenance of documentation
- Continue to support products through the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production. This includes creating and managing Engineering Change Requests (ECRs), Engineering Change Orders (ECOs), and liaising with clients to resolve product issues.
- Any other duties, as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Engineering degree, physical science degree or equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g. engineering technologist with minimum two (2) years’ recent, related experience).
- Previous experience as a project manager, project engineer or systems engineer in a consulting environment is desired and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not (e.g. aerospace or automotive), would be advantageous.
- At least three (3) years’ experience managing similar projects is required to be successful in this role.
- Experience with CAD required, and with Rapid Prototyping, Software Development, PCB Layout, FEA Analysis, or Manufacturing processes desired.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong competence in MS Office Suite (especially MS Project, Excel and Word).
- Strong client liaison, both oral and written communications, and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of product development and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to thrive in environment of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Must be flexible in order to work with variability in technology, clients and teams.
- Strong systems engineering understanding ideally with regulatory controls.
- Exceptional judgment and composure in high-pressure situations.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including maintaining accurate records and diligently tracking key project metrics.
- Sharp detective and sleuthing skills.
- Ability to remain flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audiences.
- Ability to rapidly understand new technologies and incorporate on-the-fly change of plans.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package are included. We thank all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and covering letter that includes salary expectations, clearly indicates which position you wish to be considered for, and describes exactly how your education and experience meet each of the requirements of this position.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.