Ever growing, StarFish Medical is searching for Project Managers who will be the champion for new and existing clients and act as ombudsman to develop business opportunities for our thriving company. Our Project Managers manage uncharted product development projects and lead our talented cross-functional teams of engineers to successfully deliver cutting-edge innovative products on time and on budget.
In this multi-faceted project management position, you will enjoy leading diverse groups through the product life cycle, starting with the creative process for the initial concept, detailed design, through to the manufacturing and production process. Thinking quickly on your feet you respond nimbly to changing circumstances, applying design and project tradeoffs to solve problems on a continuous basis. Your skilled communication creates an environment for open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking resulting in innovative medical technologies that meet QA and regulatory compliance standards.
You will take full ownership of our client relationships, providing them with exceptional support as the single point of contact at StarFish and you have the engineering know-how to take the technical lead in translating the client needs to the product development team. At StarFish, we know, “Our success is measured by the success of our clients.”
About StarFish Medical
StarFish continues to grow and our teams work in energizing, purpose-designed facilities with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets and customers. Expand your career and industry experience while fostering relationships with our top-tier medical technology clients, all while working on cutting edge projects that range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
You could be working in the heart of Toronto, Ontario, or in beautiful Victoria, BC where visitors are immediately met with a smile and open concept offices. The working environment is filled with both a sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and also genuine employee engagement and transparency that is truly meaningful.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
If this is the type of collegial and supportive environment you strive to be a part of, and you love to apply the logic and organization of project management and work directly with our clients and product development teams, then we encourage you to read on!
If the idea of developing leading edge products in the medical device field intrigues you, we know you will find the StarFish Compensation package competitive and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The Project Manager will thrive among like-minded members of our dynamic and inspiring teams at either our Victoria or Toronto location, to meet their common goal of producing cutting edge technology products for our valued clients. At StarFish, our very experienced and capable teams of engineers and designers enable the success of ground-breaking medical device companies. As we say, “Our success is measured by the success of our clients.”
In this multi-faceted project management position, you will be the champion for our clients, you will actively pursue and capture new business development opportunities, and you will lead and inspire cross-functional teams of engineers to successfully deliver technical projects on time and on budget. You will own the relationship with clients throughout the development process to ensure successful outcomes are achieved, while applying your knowledge of sound engineering practices and regulatory requirements to navigate projects in the ISO environment.
- Lead design teams to develop new medical products and novel technologies throughout the product life cycle from initial concept through to detailed design.
- Initiate and steer effective brainstorming sessions that will spawn creative, open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking and creative business development ideas.
- Partner with Business Development to lead and/or support the creation of proposals and transfer of new activities into Engineering.
- Take full ownership of client/customer relationships, providing them with a single point of contact within StarFish
- Respond nimbly to changing circumstances and new information by assessing, recommending and applying design and project tradeoffs (schedule, scope and budget) on a continuous basis
- Market and advocate for StarFish’s capabilities and core competencies to potential and existing clients to help expand the reach of the business
- Establish strong relationships with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled
- Oversee the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Ensure all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed. Initiate and lead appropriate design reviews as required.
- Support vendor quotations, POs and lead times to monitor BOM targets and ensure cost-effective manufacturing processes are chosen during design.
- Creatively apply various project management approaches depending on the situation, be it lightweight frameworks that enable rapid iteration or robust deployments for established manufactured products
- Continue to support products through the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production, including creating and managing ECRs, ECO’s, and liaising with clients to resolve product issues.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Engineering degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing similar projects (with budget, schedule and scope accountability) is required to be successful in this role.
- Experience in leading combined hardware and software designs is desired. This includes CAD, PCB/Schematic Layouts, Embedded System Development, Software Development, FEA Analysis & modeling, rapid prototyping and Manufacturing processes
- Previous experience as a Project Manager in a consulting environment (min. two to five [2-5] years managing external clients and projects) is desired and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not (e.g. aerospace or automotive) would be advantageous.
- Formal and demonstrated project management experience (PMP certification as an example); ISO13485 experience ideal.
- Supervisory experience is required
- Contract management experience is required.
- Resource planning and management experience (e.g. labor forecasting and management) is required
- Systems engineering experience is desirable.
- Some business development, sales and marketing experience is desirable
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of product development and manufacturing processes.
- Strong client liaison and customer service skills, including ability to help clients with being able to describe product marketing features.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audiences.
- Strong systems engineering knowledge.
- Exceptional judgment and composure in high-pressure situations
- Ability to remain flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity.
- Ability to rapidly understand new technologies and incorporate on-the-fly change of plans.
- Ability to comprehend, communicate and manage complex design trade-offs.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including maintaining accurate records and diligently tracking key project metrics.
- Sharp detective and sleuthing skills.
- Competence in MS Office Suite (including MS Project, Excel and Word).
HOW TO APPLY:
If the idea of developing leading edge products in the medical device field intrigues you, we know you will find the Starfish compensation package competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply in confidence please send a covering letter and resume that clearly demonstrates the qualifications required of this position, along with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who apply to Starfish Medical; however only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.