We are seeking an experienced Senior Firmware Engineer, based in Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON, who will enjoy working collaboratively and mentoring engineers in the design, implementation, and development of the innovative, cutting edge medical device products developed at Starfish Medical. StarFish Medical manufacturing focuses on new product introduction (NPI) and low volume, specialty production of electro-mechanical medical devices.
StarFish Medical Offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology with Project Managers, clients and talented multi-disciplinary teams
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology from the proof of concept through to manufacturing and release
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
- Developing firmware for complex medical devices and systems through brainstorming, architecting, and engineering solutions that balance cost, performance, complexity to deliver excellence to our clients.
- Collaborating with other disciplines, departments, and external development partners including mentoring and sharing knowledge with others.
- Assisting business development and project managers by developing firmware tasks and estimates for customer proposals.
- Providing content for design documentation including contributing to formal design and source code reviews
Does this describe you?
- You are known as a C expert, and it would be a bonus if you have used assembler and/or C++.
- You understand how C code interfaces with real world hardware to the level of individual bits.
- You bring a unique engineering ability as a firmware developer and have the capability to understand the requirements of the hardware integration.
- You’re experienced at interfacing to the micro peripherals and producing deterministic code without an OS.
- You’re able to read C library code and understand how is compiled and linked into the project.
- Your experience provides you with a comfort level handling a variety of microcontrollers, oscilloscopes, function generators and multimeters, to name a few.
- You understand coding details and you know how to incorporate them into the bigger picture – you are a ‘project integrator’.
- You have the ability to translate the technical jargon to both peers and to cross-functional teams. In effect, you can zero in on code detail, but you can rise above to the 10,000 foot level and see the bigger picture too.
If this describes you, we would welcome your confidential application!
Our Ideal Candidate Brings:
- Expertise in C and proven experience in programming hardware interfaces.
- 10 Years of recent, related experience developing firmware for commercial products.
- 5 Years of demonstrated experience managing, developing, motivating and mentoring engineering teams.
- A Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, electronics, Physics, or equivalent.
- Experience in product development, specifically developing firmware for electronic devices, throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, and verbal in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to collaborate as an effective team player.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304)
- Experience developing firmware for a variety of microcontrollers.
- Experience in assembly or C++ coding.
- DSP and FPGA development experience
- Experience with automation and control of common biomedical technologies (ECG, ultrasonics,
lasers, robotics, microscopy).
- Experience writing commercial software for ARM Cortex-A, M, or R platforms.
- Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Senior Firmware Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.