We are seeking an experienced Senior Firmware Engineer, based in Victoria, BC, who will enjoy working collaboratively and mentoring engineers in the design, implementation, and development of the innovative, cutting edge medical device products developed at Starfish Medical. This includes the opportunity to work in partnership with Project Managers, clients, and talented multi-disciplinary teams on medical device design from the proof of concept stage through to manufacturing and release.
Does this describe you?
- You bring a unique engineering ability as a firmware developer and have the capability to understand the requirements of the hardware integration.
- Your experience provides you with a comfort level handling a variety of microcontrollers, oscilloscopes, function generators and multimeters, to name a few.
- You understand coding details and you know how to incorporate them into the bigger picture – you are a ‘project integrator’.
- You’re known as a C expert, and it would be great (but not essential) if you have used assembler and/or C++.
- You have the ability to translate the technical jargon to both peers and to cross-functional teams. In effect, you can zero in on code detail, but you can rise above to the 10,000 foot level and see the bigger picture too.
If this describes you, we welcome your application!
- Developing firmware for complex medical devices and systems through brainstorming, architecting, and engineering solutions that balance cost, performance, complexity to deliver excellence to our clients.
- Collaborating with other disciplines, departments, and external development partners including mentoring and sharing knowledge with others.
- Assisting business development and project managers by developing firmware tasks and estimates for customer proposals.
- Providing content for design documentation including contributing to formal design and source code reviews
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Degree or Technical Certification in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, electronics, Physics, or equivalent.
- 10 Years’ experience developing firmware for commercial products.
- 5 Years’ demonstrated experience managing, developing, motivating and mentoring engineering teams.
- Expert in C and experienced in programming hardware interfaces.
- Experience in product development, specifically developing firmware for electronic devices, throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, and verbal in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to collaborate as an effective team player.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304)
- Experience developing firmware for a variety of microcontrollers.
- Experience in assembly or C++ coding.
- DSP and FPGA development experience
- Experience with automation and control of common biomedical technologies (ECG, ultrasonics, lasers, robotics, microscopy).
- Experience writing commercial software for ARM Cortex-A, M, or R platforms.
- Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
This position is based in their Victoria, BC office, where you are met with an exciting sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and genuine employee engagement. When employees were recently asked what they enjoyed most about working at StarFish, they highly rated the meaningful work, great co-workers, an inclusive culture, and flexible working conditions.
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to email@example.com with a resume and a covering letter that lists your salary expectations, and indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position. A benefits and profit sharing package is included, and the salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
We thank all applicants who apply, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.