Do you enjoy exploring new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible? Do you have a creative mind that likes solving challenging engineering problems? If yes, this new Senior Mechanical Design Engineer opportunity at StarFish Medical in Victoria, BC, or Toronto, ON, may be for you!
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer you will work with an interdisciplinary team to develop components and systems that provide innovative solutions for our clients. This role requires creative problem-solving skills, along with a vast breadth of engineering knowledge and experience that will help our clients achieve success.
Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager, the successful candidate will have proven experience developing novel products in a regulated medical device development and/or relevant product development field. You will determine design requirements, plan and execute the design of mechanical devices, develop CAD models (SolidWorks), test prototypes, and produce clear documentation. If this unique opportunity to make a real difference in medical technology is exciting to you, we invite you to apply!
Victoria, BC or Toronto, ON
$93,926 – $117,408 CAD for this position in Victoria, British Columbia, with Toronto, Ontario salary ranges higher. Annual variable compensation tied to the completion of goals has a target which is between 5-10% of the base salary. Employees are also eligible to earn profit sharing.
StarFish Medical offers:
The opportunity to join a group of passionate individuals striving to make a meaningful impact, combined with:
- Award-winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principles.
- Profit sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- An active social committee with events that happen both during the workday and outside of work hours.
- 50% BC Transit / TTC cost-sharing in Toronto.
- Both locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work; Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the Office.
- Both locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer your responsibilities will include:
- Efficiently analyze problems and synthesize your experience and breadth of knowledge of engineering fundamentals into a coherent solution that meets the client’s needs.
- Drive brainstorming sessions to collect, discuss and prioritize ideas; define concepts to evaluate and develop further.
- Use analysis, modelling and prototyping to create innovative components, mechanisms, and systems as part of the whole solution for the client.
- Detailed mechanical design.
- Supports the development of project documentation.
- Quickly understand novel technologies and engage with moving them forward toward a great medical device.
- Create test plans, assemble prototypes, execute verification testing, and write detailed test reports.
- Ensure that products are developed appropriately for the Medical Regulatory Environment.
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for junior members of the team.
- Work with Project Managers to ensure that team meetings, project reviews and action lists are kept current and communicated to all stakeholders promptly.
- Cooperate with and understand the design challenges other project team members are addressing.
- Manage client expectations and report on technical progress regularly.
- Balancing budgetary and scope constraints while adhering to project milestones and deliverables.
- Support Business Development to transfer new activities into the company.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Our ideal candidate brings:
- Eng./B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 10 or more years of experience developing novel products in a regulated medical device development and/or relevant product development field.
- Experience with 3D modelling CAD software, preferably SolidWorks, and ASME Y14.100 drawing standards.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team environment.
Desired Skills, Attributes and Abilities:
- Ability to “think outside the box” while focusing on long-term product goals.
- Excellent hands-on skills for prototype building and testing.
- Experience in a project-based consulting engineering environment would be an asset.
- You love tinkering with electromechanical systems or conceptualizing new ones. If that’s you, we would love to hear about it; even better if it is on a previous or ongoing side project.
About StarFish Medical
StarFish Medical is a leading North American contract product development and prototype/low-volume manufacturing firm with an award-winning culture focused on the medical and bio-device spaces. We tend to work on complex electromechanical devices across all medical specialties. We successfully partner with innovative companies (both large and small) to create breakthrough products for several medical specialty areas. In addition to product development, we supply intellectual property, regulatory, quality assurance, manufacturing transfer and optimization, supply chain and other complementary services. We are known for innovation, technical excellence, service-oriented culture, and operational systems.
We have been in business and growing for 25 years and we have over 200 staff located in two main offices in Victoria and Toronto, Canada, and business development staff across the US. Our work environment received Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture awards in 2021, 2022 and 2023, recognizing best-in-class cultures that have helped enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage.
StarFish Medical works with external compensation consultants annually to ensure our ranges reflect the market and our compensation philosophy. StarFish Medical utilizes a career framework that outlines the skills, abilities and behaviors required to move between levels of a job family. Placement within a range is based on those skills, abilities, and behaviors. When candidates are assessed for the posted position, we may find that their skills are more aligned with a different level and will discuss that as a separate opportunity. That position may have a different pay range.
How to Apply:
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Portal.
If you experience any difficulties when applying, please reach out to [email protected] with the “Senior Mechanical Design Engineer” subject line.
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted following initial application acknowledgment. No phone calls, please.