We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer who is looking for that special company where innovation and quality is embraced and celebrated.
StarFish teams work in energizing, purpose-designed facilities with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets and customers. Expand your career and industry experience while fostering relationships with our top-tier medical technology clients, all while working on cutting edge projects that range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
You could be working in the heart of Toronto, Ontario, or in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, where visitors are immediately met with a smile and open concept offices. The working environment is filled with both a sense of driven scientific and engineering excellence, and also genuine employee engagement and transparency that is truly meaningful.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
If this is the type of collegial and supportive environment you strive to be a part of, and you love to apply the science of mechanical design working directly with our clients and product development teams, then we encourage you to read on!
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will have the opportunity to work on state-of-the art client projects with new and existing customers developing well-engineered, award-winning medical devices. Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager, it will be critical to communicate effectively and collaborate with all team members in a vibrant multi-disciplinary team. In this role, you will be responsible for acting in a leadership capacity within project teams to coach and mentor our junior Engineers
As the Senior Mechanical Engineer you will:
- Use analysis, modeling and prototyping to create great components, mechanisms and systems as part of the whole solution for the client.
- Efficiently analyze problems and synthesize your experience and breadth of knowledge of engineering fundamentals into a coherent solution that meets the client’s needs.
- Provide technical mechanical leadership for internal and external stakeholders
- Design and perform experiments to determine the solution space and to select the most appropriate path forward to a great medical device.
- Quickly understand novel technologies and engage with moving them forward towards a product.
- Cooperate with and understand the design challenges being addressed by other project team members.
- Design products for manufacturing, assembly and test (DFMAT) using your broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Create and maintain a documentation package suitable for manufacturing transfer and regulatory submission.
- Ensure that products are developed appropriately for the Medical Regulatory Environment.
- Maintain and expand your technical knowledge and skills.
- Interface with Business Development to transfer new activities into the company.
- Prepare and maintain project plans, set/adhere to milestones, deliverables and budgets.
- Manage a limited number of concurrent projects primarily of a mechanical scope and consisting of 2 – 3 engineers.
- Ensure that team meetings, project reviews and action lists are kept current and communicated to all stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Transfer product to Production and provide on-going Engineering support.
- Resource planning in support of staffing decisions and client support.
- Manage client expectations and report on project progress regularly.
- Ensure that budgets are on track and achieved.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
- Any other related duties, as required.
Our Ideal Candidate brings:
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD in Engineering, Applied Science or Science.
- A minimum of 8 years of technical experience in Product Development, particularly within a consulting environment, would be an asset.
- Supervisory experience would be an asset.
- A background in medicine, biophysics or other biological science would also be an asset.
- Experience with 3D modeling CAD software, preferably SolidWorks, as well as ASME Y14.100 drawing standards.
- Strong mechanical aptitude enabling elegant, innovative solutions to mechanical problems.
- In addition to the above, the following are desirable:
- Laboratory automation
- Precision mechanical design
- Good hands-on skills
- Project planning/management experience
- Requirements gathering experience
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a resume and covering letter that indicates your salary expectations, and describes how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and a benefits and profit sharing package are included.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.