StarFish Medical has a new opportunity in Toronto, ON, or Victoria, BC, for a Senior Software Engineer.
The primary responsibility of this position is to design, implement, maintain, and document software for medical products developed at Starfish Medical that meet international regulatory standards in conformance with Starfish’s Quality Management System. This includes ownership of the design from the initial concept stage through to a complete release to manufacturing.
This position reports directly to the Software Engineering Manager.
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Toronto, Ontario or Victoria, BC Offices.
Base salary range is between
$93,926.40 – $135,360.00 CAD. Annual variable compensation tied to goal completion targets 5-10% of the base salary. Employees are also eligible to earn profit-sharing.
StarFish Medical works with external compensation consultants annually to ensure our ranges reflect the market and our compensation philosophy. StarFish Medical utilizes a career framework that outlines the skills, abilities and behaviours required to move between levels of a job family. Placement within a range is based on those skills, abilities, and behaviours. When candidates are assessed for the posted position, we may find that their skills are more aligned with a different level and will discuss that as a separate opportunity. That position may have a different pay range. The range posted includes all geographic locations to ensure the available base pay range is shared. If a candidate is moving forward in the hiring process past the first interview, we can share the band specific to their geographic location.
Benefits of working at StarFish Medical
An exciting career working with a genuinely talented and ambitious team, combined with:
- The opportunity to work on ground-breaking technology.
- Award-winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principles.
- Profit-sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- Monthly All-hands meetings.
- Active social committee.
- 50% BC Transit / TTC cost-sharing in Toronto.
- Both Locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work; Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the Office.
- Both Locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, departments, and external development partners including mentoring and sharing knowledge with others.
- Help brainstorm, architect, and engineer complex software applications and systems for medical devices.
- Set up, configure, and maintain development environments.
- Implement software controls, standards, and processes.
- Write and document software on various platforms.
- Create and maintain Medical Device Design History Files.
- Develop Detailed Design Specifications and Verification Plans.
- Contribute to formal Design Reviews and Source Code Reviews.
- Develop software tasks and estimates for customer proposals.
- Collaborate with other team members, disciplines, departments, and external development partners.
- Research, source, evaluate, and apply new technologies, APIs, libraries, and standards for medical device software.
- Mentor and/or share knowledge with others.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Educational Qualification(s), Skills & Attributes
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, electronics, Physics, or equivalent.
- Previous experience in a software lead or senior software position.
- Strong ability to prioritize responsibilities and be highly flexible in a demanding product development environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, and oral.
- 10 Years’ experience developing software for commercial products.
- Experience working within Quality Management System, or in a highly regulated industry, such as: automotive, aerospace, medical.
- Experience in a regulated industry is mandatory, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304).
- Experience in Fault Tolerance and Design for Testing.
Thanks in advance for your interest in StarFish Medical!
Our work environment received Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture awards for 2021, 2022 & 2023, recognizing best-in-class cultures that have helped enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage. We are Canada’s leading Medical Device Design service provider with a full complement of design, development, and low-contract manufacturing services in Victoria and Toronto. We successfully partner with innovative companies (both large and small) to create breakthrough products for several medical specialty areas.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Portal.
If you experience difficulties with the StarFish Medical Job Portal, don’t hesitate to contact [email protected] with the subject line “ Senior Software Engineer | Job Portal Issue.”
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted after initial acknowledgement. No phone calls, please.
We look forward to meeting you!