We have a new opportunity for a Senior Software Engineering Project Manager in Toronto, ON, or Victoria, BC. As the role-holder, you will apply a systems-level view to your primary focus, leading teams to deliver software and embedded firmware integral to medical device design and development. You will be taking ownership of client relationships, providing them with outstanding communication and support at every step of the way. Strong engineering know-how is required as you will be the technical lead in translating the client’s needs from the software standpoint to the medical-device development team. The ability to convey technical information to different audiences is crucial. And while formally part of the Program Management group, you will work closely with the software and systems engineering teams on a diverse range of projects.
What does StarFish Medical offer you?
- The opportunity to work on ground-breaking technology.
- Award-winning culture.
- Competitive compensation.
- Team profit sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- Monthly All-hands meetings.
- Active social committee.
- 50% BC Transit in Victoria / TTC cost-sharing in Toronto.
- Both locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work; Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the Office.
- Both locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises.
- Partner with clients to identify the software and systems requirements and needs for new medical-device development projects and work with them to understand how we can help them.
- Spearhead the planning and execution of project software and firmware aspects to integrate with the overall medical-device development plan (interface identification, integration strategy, testing approach, release management etc.).
- Evaluate new medical-device software development requirements and facilitate the selection process for each application’s most appropriate platforms, protocols, languages, frameworks, and tools.
- Lead overall software issue tracking for projects, including the tailoring of the process and toolset as needed.
- Apply technical skills to understand and make project tradeoffs, prioritize partner needs, challenge assumptions, and evaluate project work and risks.
- Strategically manage client expectations, including exploration of “need” vs “want” and presenting tradeoff evaluations to support decision-making.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders, translating ideas across domains to hardware engineers, software engineers, systems engineers, project managers, and external clients.
- Find opportunities to improve qualification and release processes, frameworks, and infrastructure.
- Coordinate the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physical Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Previous experience as a Project Manager in a consulting environment is desired, and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not, helps.
- Minimum of 10 years of diverse experience leading product development life cycle focusing on software and systems needs. Applicants with experience in the same or related industries are highly desirable – Medical device, Aeronautics, Product Design Engineering Firms, Electronics Design Firms, Aerospace
- And at least 5 of those years spent leading similar projects are required to succeed in this role.
- Experience with different products (sophisticated device) development delivery models is an asset (Agile, Hybrid, Exploratory, Waterfall, etc.)
- QMS and regulatory experience would be a plus (ISO 13485 experience is ideal).
- Excellent communication, problem-solving and negotiating skills.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re passionate about this role, but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
We look forward to receiving your confidential application to join our growing team!
If you experience difficulties applying, please contact [email protected] with the “Senior Software Engineering Project Manager Job Portal Issue” subject line.
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted following initial application acknowledgement. No phone calls, please.
Looking forward to meeting you!