StarFish Medical has a new opportunity in Victoria, BC, or Toronto, ON, for a Senior Systems Engineer working with program management and the technical team to identify the client’s ideal solution within program constraints. The Systems Engineer is adept at building collaborative, cross-functional teams to be high functioning, and your communication skills successfully bring these diverse groups together to spawn creative, open-minded, and out-of-the-box thinking.
You will have varied assignments, some of which involve being the only Systems Engineer on the team, whereas on others, you may be directing the work of other Systems Engineer team members. Given the variety in program constraints, you know there isn’t a “one size fits all” solution and will tailor the systems engineering approach to suit the specific program needs.
As an expert in System Engineering, you will contribute to developing processes, procedures and training material and may also train other staff members. In this position, you will work alongside Program Managers, Project Managers and others within the Systems Engineering team.
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Toronto, Ontario or Victoria, BC Offices.
Base salary range is between
$100,980.00 – $145,703.50 CAD. Annual variable compensation tied to goal completion targets 3-8% of the base salary. Employees are also eligible to earn profit sharing.
StarFish Medical works with external compensation consultants annually to ensure our ranges reflect the market and our compensation philosophy. StarFish Medical utilizes a career framework that outlines the skills, abilities and behaviours required to move between levels of a job family. Placement within a range is based on those skills, abilities, and behaviours. When candidates are assessed for the posted position, we may find that their skills are more aligned with a different level and will discuss that as a separate opportunity. That position may have a different pay range. The range posted includes all geographic locations to ensure the available base pay range is shared. If a candidate is moving forward in the hiring process past the first interview, we can share the band specific to their geographic location.
Benefits of working at StarFish Medical
An exciting career working with a genuinely talented and ambitious team, combined with:
- The opportunity to work on ground-breaking technology.
- Award-winning culture with deep-rooted Guiding Principles.
- Profit-sharing program.
- Excellent company-paid benefits package.
- Paid vacation and sick leave.
- Monthly All-hands meetings.
- Active social committee.
- 50% BC Transit / TTC cost-sharing in Toronto.
- Both locations offer shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work; Victoria offers Galloping Goose access close by, while Toronto offers a Bike Share station within a 5-minute walk to the Office.
Both locations offer free parking on-site or around the premises
- Develop and shape the technical solution(s) within program constraints for complex multi-disciplinary products at all phases of the development lifecycle.
- Motivate, mentor and oversee an exceptionally talented and engaged team of Systems Engineers and other supporting staff on programs.
- Be accountable for innovative design solutions and development process adherence on programs, including compilation of the requisite documentation to support device Design History Files (DHFs).
- Analyze “Modeling” vs “Build & Test” options to make strategic recommendations throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Be accountable for the collection, definition and maintenance of requirements.
- Spearhead risk management activities (both program and patient/user).
- Lead architecture development, including system and sub-system decomposition activities, interface definition and interface management.
- Formally drive techno-commercial decision-making processes to ensure that decisions are made and documented efficiently, effectively and based on objective criteria.
- As directed by the Program or Project Manager, develop detailed schedules and budgets supporting various programs.
- Present options to Program Management for the technology development roadmap to bring the device from its current state to commercialization. This should include consideration of alternative life cycle methodologies.
- Involved in defining the formal review of the design through various technical, design and phase-gate reviews.
- Lead verification and validation planning and strategy.
- Assess trade-offs for review by the PM to maintain alignment with both technological & client business goals (budget, schedule, competitive edge, etc.).
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation and training other staff as appropriate.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Attributes:
- B.Eng., B.A.Sc. in Mechanical, Electrical, Software/Firmware Systems or a related degree.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Proven leadership and organizational skills and capabilities.
- Proficient at drafting architecture and systems thinking capabilities.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including maintaining accurate records and traceability.
- Experience writing, reviewing, and executing test plans.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of medical device development in an ISO:13485 or other regulated industry is desirable.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of ambiguity and uncertainty, rapidly understand new technologies and incorporate on-the-fly change of plans.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to clearly communicate technical concepts and requirements.
StarFish Medical is Canada’s leading Medical Device Design service provider with a full complement of design, development, and manufacturing services in Victoria and Toronto. We successfully partner with innovative companies (both large and small) to create breakthrough products for several medical specialty areas. Our work environment received Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture awards for 2021 & 2022, recognizing best-in-class cultures that have helped enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification. At StarFish Medical, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Please apply through the StarFish Medical Portal.
If you experience difficulties with the StarFish Medical Job Portal, don’t hesitate to contact [email protected] with the subject line “Senior Systems Engineer | Job Portal Issue.”
We thank all candidates who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted after initial acknowledgement. No phone calls, please.
We look forward to meeting you!