We are searching for multiple Intermediate Software Engineers to join our growing, collaborative team designing world-renowned medical devices. Our organization is growing, and we are looking to add more software engineers to our teams in Toronto and Victoria.
Your 3+ years of experience developing software for commercial products, will be called upon as you own the software design process as part of a cross-functional project team. You will work from the initial concept stage right through to a complete product release to manufacturing and the client. Bring your proven research skills, the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment, and the strong desire to mentor and share your knowledge with others, preferably experience working in a highly-regulated quality industry.
Medical device software and Software-As-A-Medical-Device (SaMD) is an exploding industry and Starfish Medical is at the forefront of this new and exciting market. Do you enjoy absorbing new technologies and understanding how complex systems interact? Do you want to work with distributed computing, cloud, AI and REST APIs and embedded devices? Does the idea of deep dives into cryptography, human-device-interface, or 3D rendering excite you?
If you like the idea of turning cutting edge technology into marketable Software Medical Devices, then Starfish has the opportunity of a life time waiting for you. We are seeking a dynamic Intermediate Software Developer to join our Software Development Team. This position is based in Toronto, Ontario or Victoria, British Columbia, where you will be working in an environment filled with both engineering excellence and truly meaningful employee engagement and transparency.
Desirable Technical Skills
We are looking for some or all of the following skill sets:
- Experience in a high level language like C#, Java, C++ or VB.net
- Experience using scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Lua, Node.js
- Cybersecurity, cryptography, and encryption experience. Understanding of physical security is desirable
- UX/UI, user interface or website implementation.
- Cross platform skills (e.g. Two or more of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BSD)
- “Full stack” web development. Various stacks will be considered
- Database experience. RDBMS or NoSQL
- 2D and 3D model rendering
There is no set technology stack so we require flexible individuals that enjoy learning and absorbing new technologies and applying them. We sometimes work in a high pressure projects where mistakes can be costly so the individual will require fortitude and determination. We also have a great deal of fun making prototypes and ideas into reality. If you see yourself in this description, then we are interested in hearing from you!
StarFish Medical offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Help brainstorm, architect, and engineer complex software applications and systems for medical devices
- Set up, configure, and maintain development environments
- Implement software controls, standards, and processes
- Write and document software on various platforms
- Help maintain Medical Device Design History Files
- Help develop Detailed Design Specifications and Verification Plans
- Contribute to formal Design Reviews and Source Code Reviews
- Help develop software tasks and estimates for customer proposals
- Collaborate with other team members, disciplines, departments, and external development partners
- Research, source, evaluate, and apply new technologies, APIs, libraries, and standards for medical device software
- Mentor and/or share knowledge with others
- Perform other related duties, as required
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical, electronics or software engineering or a Diploma in electronics or software engineering
- Experience must include:
- Proficiency in one or more programming and scripting languages AND
- Application development experience OR
- Web development (e.g. front end or back end) development experience OR
- Mobile development experience.
- Mandatory: Excellent communication skills, both written, and oral.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
- Self-directed completion (e.g. Capstone project) of an electromechanical device and/or co-op work term or summer student experience
- Experience programming in C/C++, Java or Go or developing firmware on bare metal.
- Experience developing firmware in a highly-regulated industry, such as: aerospace, medical or automotive.
- Experience working within a Medical Quality Management System (e.g. ISO13485, IEC60601-1, IEC62304)
This position reports directly to the Software Engineering Manager.
Starfish Medical is an award winning Canadian owned employer. The Engineering department is core to our business and we work hard to provide an open, safe environment for people to grow, explore and be awesome.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Software Engineer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.