Based in Toronto, ON, or Victoria, BC, we have a new opportunity for an experienced UX Designer to join the highly engaged and collaborative Product Development team at StarFish Medical. Are you passionate about UX Design and creating premium digital experiences? This role will provide the successful UX Designer with the opportunity to apply innovative technologies, challenge ideas, problem solve and use sound strategy to support the creation of well-engineered, award-winning medical device interfaces and experiences.
The UX Designer that will complement the highly talented multidisciplinary Product Development team at StarFish Medical brings a mastery of digital experiences, with a particular focus on the product and applications space. A deep knowledge of available technologies and techniques will be required to both stand on your own, and complement the hardware development teams all while working on diverse projects. The UX Designer will also contribute to the growth of the digital design and experience team while advocating for, and delivering, compelling user experiences to StarFish Medical’s customers.
Please include your portfolio (PDF) or link to an online portfolio when you apply.
StarFish Medical offers the UX Designer:
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- Satisfaction of helping others through the development of cutting edge medical devices
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria and TTC cost sharing in Toronto
- Electric Vehicle charging station in Victoria, and proximity to Bike Share station in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access in Victoria
- Shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work at both offices
Key responsibilities of UX Designer include:
- Create and manage successful yet compelling solutions to UX challenges with minimal oversight while managing budgets and delivering on time.
- Generate positive peer and client interactions to sustain healthy client relationships that promote continued collaborations.
- Be the principal UX resource on a given project within a lean UX framework working with a multidisciplinary team to co-own projects and produce successful outcomes.
- Support the human factors team on user research and user testing activities.
- Create new processes and improve established ones to provide maximum value and efficiency to both customers and team members.
- Utilize excellent communication skills to engage with clients and ensure the product vision is well captured and conveyed.
- Prepare quality client presentations according to StarFish standards.
- Facilitate UX design workshops and contribute to conversations on design strategy.
- Maintain objective ownership of the digital user experience on projects.
- Capture and synthesize project inputs, perform problem identification, and assist in establishing project scope.
- Support Business Development activities related to digital UX to provide our customers with measurable business value.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Passionate about UX Design and premium digital experiences!
- BA or BSc. in Design (e.g. Interaction, Graphic, Visual Communications, Product, or Industrial), Human Computer Interaction (HCI), or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of UX design experience, with medical device or experience in a regulated environment ideal but not required.
- Experience with application development of commercial products (more than web only products).
- Proficient knowledge of critical UX tools such as: Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, Miro or other similar collaboration software is required.
- Ability to convert compelling digital user experiences into stunning visual designs.
Additional Skills and Experience that would be beneficial:
- Familiar with usability related regulatory body standards and guidances would be a plus.
- Experience in hospital environment observations and user interviews.
- Excellent front end skills with the ability to tell a great story.
- Experience in a design control environment.
- Experience with a PDM system.
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical is Canada’s premier medical device development group, an integrated team of 80+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
At our head office in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, you will work in an energizing, purpose-designed 20,000 sq. ft. facility with some of the best medical device design strategists, designers and engineers to help direct, create and deliver exciting product experiences for varied device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment. StarFish offers a collegial, creative and casual working environment. In a recent survey, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish.
How To Apply:
Qualified UX Designer applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.