We are searching for a Senior Project Manager, based in Victoria, BC, or Toronto, ON, who will be the champion for our new and existing clients and act as ombudsman to develop business opportunities for our thriving company.
The Senior Project Manager manages uncharted product development projects and leads and mentors their talented cross-functional teams of engineers to successfully deliver cutting-edge, innovative products on time and on budget. StarFish Medical manufacturing focuses on new product introduction (NPI) and low volume, specialty production of electro-mechanical medical devices.
In this multi-faceted project management position, you will enjoy leading diverse groups through the product life cycle, starting with the creative process for the initial concept, detailed design, through to the manufacturing and production process. Strategically responding to client requirements while nimbly adapting to changing circumstances in a fast paced, dynamic environment will be key to your success. You will apply design and project tradeoffs to solve problems on a continuous basis and your skilled communication will enhance an environment for open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking resulting in innovative medical technologies that meet QA and regulatory compliance standards.
You will take full ownership of client relationships, providing them with exceptional support as the single point of contact at StarFish, and you have the engineering know-how to take the technical lead in translating the client’s needs to the product development team. Employees at StarFish know, “Our success is measured by the success of our clients.”
StarFish Medical Offers:
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge technology with Project Managers, clients and talented multi-disciplinary teams
- Satisfaction of helping others through medical device technology from the proof of concept through to manufacturing and release
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented/collaborative environment
- An award winning company culture & tight knit team
- Profit sharing
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits package
- Monthly All-hands meetings
- Active social committee
- 50% BC Transit cost sharing in Victoria, and TTC/Transit subsidy in Toronto
- Galloping Goose access and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Victoria
- Bike Share station within 5 minute walk and shower facilities for midday runs or biking to work in Toronto
- Lead design teams to develop new medical products and novel technologies throughout the product life cycle from initial concept through to detailed design.
- Initiate and steer effective brainstorming sessions that will spawn creative, open-minded, out-of-the-box thinking and creative business development ideas.
- Partner with Business Development to lead and/or support the creation of proposals and transfer of new activities into Engineering.
- Take full ownership of client/customer relationships, providing them with a single point of contact within StarFish
- Respond nimbly to changing circumstances and new information by assessing, recommending and applying design and project trade-offs (schedule, scope and budget) on a continuous basis
- Market and advocate for StarFish’s capabilities and core competencies to potential and existing clients to help expand the reach of the business
- Establish strong relationships with clients, team members, and vendors to ensure that schedules are met and budgets are controlled
- Oversee and mentor the work of team members to ensure compliance with regulatory standards, company procedures, product requirements, and specifications.
- Ensure all required design and quality documentation is completed and all design processes are followed. Initiate and lead appropriate design reviews as required.
- Support vendor quotations, POs and lead times to monitor BOM targets and ensure cost-effective manufacturing processes are chosen during design.
- Creatively apply various project management approaches depending on the situation, be it lightweight frameworks that enable rapid iteration or robust deployments for established manufactured products
- Continue to support products through the manufacturing transfer and ongoing production, including creating and managing ECRs, ECO’s, and liaising with clients to resolve product issues.
- Adhere to and enhance the Quality Management System (QMS), including developing and maintaining documentation.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Experience working through all aspects of the product development life cycle and stage gate process
- Minimum of 10 years of recent, related experience, primarily in the medical device field
- Leadership experience managing multi-functional teams through project management, and PMP certification is preferred
- Knowledge of sound engineering practices and regulatory requirements to navigate projects in the ISO13485 environment
- Track record of building successful client relationships
- Experience mentoring and working effectively with team members in remote locations and multiple time zones
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing similar product development projects (with budget, schedule and scope accountability) is required to be successful in this role
- Experience in leading combined hardware and software designs is desired. This includes CAD, PCB/Schematic
Layouts, Embedded System Development, Software Development, FEA Analysis & modeling, rapid prototyping
and Manufacturing processes
- Previous experience as a Project Manager in a consulting environment (min. two to five [2-5] years managing external clients and projects) is desired and experience in a regulated industry, whether medical or not (e.g. electronics engineering)
- Formal and demonstrated project management experience (PMP certification as an example)
- QMS regulatory experience required (ISO13485 ideal)
- Supervisory experience is required
- Contract management experience is required.
- Resource planning and management experience (e.g. labour forecasting and management) is required
- Systems engineering experience is desirable.
- Some business development, sales and marketing experience is desirable
- Excellent communications, problem solving and negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Tenacious personality and drive for success
If this describes you, we would welcome your confidential application!
About StarFish Medical:
StarFish Medical, Canada’s premier medical device development group, is an integrated team of 100+ technical product development professionals who work on device design projects for North American and international customers.
You will work with some of the best design strategists, designers and engineers in North America to help direct, create and deliver cutting edge products for international medical device markets. Our project areas range from tactical EMS products, surgical tools and consumer diagnostic devices through to high volume disposables, complex IVD systems, imaging technologies and lab equipment.
In our surveys, our employees rated: peers and culture, interesting and meaningful work, and working conditions (flexibility, environment) as the top reasons they most enjoyed working at StarFish. If you want to be a part of the innovation and excitement of StarFish Medical, we encourage you to apply!
How To Apply:
Qualified Senior Project Manager applicants are encouraged to apply through the brand new StarFish Medical Job Portal with a resume and cover letter that clearly indicates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
We thank all candidates who apply; however after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.